Sunday 19 October 2008

Pub Quiz Format Part Two.


Hello, again, out there.

Still with me?   Goody Gum Drops!

Where was I?   Oh, yes, the jokers!

As I was saying, teams hand in their Joker cards as and when I announce the rounds.   Which adds a certain amount of frantic hand raising, and card waving, to the evening.   Because a team at one of quizzes has only a few seconds to make their minds up, and work out whether to gamble their one Joker  card on this round, or leave it till the next one.   Which may not be in a good bet …

I usually do the quiz in two halves.   As you can see from the jpg of the answer sheet I use, the 60 question format means it’s easily performable in two halves.   I usually read out the first thirty questions, swap sheets, and mark them.    Which actually gives a nice dramatic touch, as I make sure I tell everybody the scores, but not necessarily which team got what!

I’m kind of with Alfred Hitchcock, here.   A little bit of suspense doesn’t hurt, in others words.

The second half – after a fag break, for all of us – is pretty much a repeat of the first, although there are differences.

The main one being simply that, instead of announcing who’s in the lead, I’m announcing the winners and losers.

Which, if a team has played their joker at the right time, may or may not have anything to do with each other.

The one thing I can guarantee at this stage is that teams will get a round of applause from everyone, but there are prizes.

Which is usually the money in the pot.   What I do is charge team member a £1 entry fee, and usually, there’s enough in the pot to make sure the first three teams get a few quid each.  And I usually hand out booby prizes, too – usually Mars bars, whatever slightly off vegetables I’ve got sitting in the fridge, and, more recently, one of my t-shirts.   I’ll post that, in a second or two.


Well, then we go, folks.   That’s how I’ve been doing it for the past five years, and hopefully as many years as possible in the future.   Drop me a comment, please, let me know what you think.

And wish me luck for the next few weeks.   It looks like it’ll be critical, when the Hutton restarts!

Almost forgot to mention, the couple in the photo, up top, are Kevin, and Louise, one of the couples who do my quiz, at the Harold.   I know Kevin looks scary, but he’s a pussycat, really.
Or that what he tells me, and who am I to disagree … ?

No comments: