Friday 28 November 2008

The Day The Earth Stood Still






















Hmmm; – here’s a how-de-do.

I managed to catch the trailer for the newly remade “The Day The Earth Stood Still”, with Keanu Reeves as Klaatu, a lot of special effects, and a rather impressive re-hash of the robot character, Gort; – there’s a link to the relevant in the title, just so you know.

I’d like to see this, to be honest.   But there’s a few things I should add, here.

As one point, I’m none too sure about the slew of remakes doing the rounds.   On one hand, I am truly amazed and thoroughly enjoying the updated version of “Doctor Who”, and “Survivors”.   And wouldn’t mind seeing the remake of “Day of the Triffids” that’s rumoured to be due on our screens.   But as a counterpoint to this, I am wondering about the amount of fresh and original science fiction that’s on our TV’s.

Or not, as the case may be.   I’m not asking for something to jump out of the forehead of Zeus, but I’m wondering if someone –anyone– is making a better effort than ITV’s “Primordial”.

Which didn’t catch my eye, to be frank, and struck me as being a brave, but not exactly stunning effort.   And not necessarily something I wanted to keep following

And, as a second point, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen the original 1951 version of “The Day The Earth Stood Still”, but I do know that it’s generally agreed to be a classic movie.   I might just see if the original’s available to rent on iTunes, or at a local video store.   I’d want to see the remake, with all it’s modern undertones, in light of the original’s place –and slant– on a fifties cold war world.

No comments: