Sunday 9 November 2008

Merlin’s TV Dinners


























I’ll make no apologies, here, for posting a couple of pics, because – after an old friend admitted that she was having trouble getting the hang of the BBC’s 21st century take on the various legends of King Arthur, and Merlin – I’m rather fond of Merlin, the series.   Come to think of, Katie McGrath, as Morgana, is … cute.

Yes, I think that’s about all I’ll say, there, on that subject – she’s … cute.   Use your imaginations.   And a thesaurus!   

To be frank, though, in my humble opinion, the BBC cut of Merlin is turning out to be a bit better put together, than the take they did of Robin Hood.   Which I can’t say was wet, to be honest.

Not when the possibility of using the word ‘damp’ is staring me in the face.

Although Keith Allen’s beautifully over the top performance as the villainous Sheriff of Nottingham was a show stealer, it wasn’t as if he had to do much, compared to the rest of the cast.   And that’s my point, basically.

Any film, radio show, or TV production, is dependent on a lot of stuff.   Robin Hood had very good all round production values, an competent, if not outstanding, cast and scripts, and was 
nicely done, if not the usual superb piece of work we know the BBC’s capable of doing, given its head.

But it didn’t exactly bash me over the head with a big club, and say “Watch Me, Big Boy”.

Merlin seems to be making a better effort on that front.

So far, anyway.

And last night’s episode introduced someone who’s going to be very important, later on …

6 comments:

Grub said...

I think both Robin Hood and Merlin are too much aimed at the younger generation and are sacrificing traditional legend for "cool". I have no great problem with this, both stories have been told often enough to need a new light shed on them. Our generations version of Dick Turpin's legend was inaccurate but great fun. I think maybe both show the quality of the new Doctor Who, which can please me and my 4yo daughter!

Grub said...

Can I just say, I do enjoy your mad ramblings and I am sure the quiz stuff is of great interest to members of it's circle (and use to others quizmasters) but maybe they are 2 differant blogs? one dilutes the other. They can still be linked, can't they? Just a thought. As long as you keep both up. I do my blog for my own entertainment so wtf... :)

Also I think we should be collaborating on some sort of sci-fi blog. Along the lines of Planet Gallifrey but all encompassing, we could be interesting and informative. If not, at least the arguements would be fun! What say you?

Nik Nak said...

Ooh, glad you’ve left the mask on, btw, there Grub!

But, yes, a joint one would be an idea, at some point, although, for me, with the job, and two quizzes on the go … If you’ve one planned that I could make the occassional contribution to, on the various bits that grab me, that’d suit me to a tee, for the minute. It’d certainly be something I could add links to, from here.

Just as a point, have you thought about trying to set up a Facebook group, along the same lines, with links to a potential blog? Just a counter-suggestion. I can always message a couple of friends of mine, see what they think …

As to an animé version … well, it’s an idea, but here in the west, I think a general audience will have trouble taking it seriously, and, given the message I think Herbert was trying to establish –that we may be at threat from religious fundamentalist, in a desert, trying to fight their oppressors by knackering the fuel source for the world’s transport system– we’d literally need to have it taken very seriously, indeed! But the basic of a Peter Jacksonesque director handling the source text in much the same way as LotR is the best way of doing it, I think.

Grub said...

Yes, point taken about the anime style but it shouldn't be the case. Watchmen isn't given the status it deserves as it is a 'graphic'novel. The only trouble with the P Jacson theory is that we need a P Jackson!

As to the sci-fi blog, I would be willing to do the work as I have less commitments. We could just meet over coffee a couple of times a week and hammer out the direction and overall aims, etc. And you could limit yourself to occasional contributions as and when you are free.

The Facebook things is def an option but I think it's too limited for the grand designs I have of world blog domination! :)

Grub said...

oh, the mask thing...

didn't go unnoticed }:(

Nik Nak said...

Surely you mean Blogospheric domination? Sounds good to me!

Anyway, I’m free thursday and friday daytime, how does that sound?