Wednesday 3 December 2008

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?




Okay, I’ll admit to at least wanting to look educated enough to include a phrase of Latin in the title, without mentioning the obvious pun, or “Monty Python’s Life of Brian” … Oh, bugger …

But I’ve always been given to understand the hoary old quote in the title translates as “Who Watches The Watchmen”, the title of an upcoming movie based on the Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons graphic novel – generally accepted as quite possibly the best thing the pair –or certainly Alan Moore– ever did, and the nearest comics ever got to “Citizen Kane”, or the works of Shakespeare.

I really couldn’t comment on that, to be brutally frank.

I’ve not read enough comics to tell “Citizen Kane” from the graphic equivalent of trashy soap operas.

But I do know that I grew up on some of the pairs work, as a hormonal teen, frantically browsing through my weekly dose of “2000AD”.   D. R & Quinch –scripted by Moore, with artwork provided by Alan Davies– I happily devoured, along with the rest of the Young Ones generation, and fell in love with “The Ballad of Halo Jones”.

And possibly with Halo, as well, but that’s probably a whole other post.

Which as you can tell, means I’m looking forward to the film of “Watchmen”, next year.

I read the novel some fifteen or so years ago, and can remember thinking it would make for one heck of a good film.   And one that, with all its murky undertones, ambivalent heroes and alternative 1980’s setting, would make for an interesting change of pace.   Much like “V for Vendetta”, another Grant derived film; – and another graphic novel I’ve been promising myself I’d read …

Along with “Lost Girls”, but that’s something I’d possibly want to know a little more about, before I buy.

No comments: