Saturday 28 February 2009

Brentwood Gazette Cinema Article

Just as a follow on to yesterday’s post about the cinema in Brentwood, I thought I’d add a quick note.

You can read the Brentwood Gazette’s coverage here, by the way.   It’s definitely provoking reaction and comment.

But I thought I’d write to the Gazette, and thought I should let you see what I sent.

Dear Sir.


I can’t help but be very alarmed about Brentwood’s new cinema development.


At least, by some of my fellow resident’s reactions.


Let me say, first, that I, like many people in town, would love to see a cinema here.   I, like many of the people interviewed in this week’s Gazette, love seeing films, and love to see them at a cinema.


Something that, as I only work part-time, means is a very rare thing, as my very limited resources have to be spent on paying bills first.   And, when the opportunity to see a film at a cinema DOES come along — once or twice a year, at the very most — I resent having to pay an ill-afforded premium on public transport.   An opinion I noticed others in your article sharing.


Additionally, this development represents something else, for me, and I suspect to many others in town.


The possibility of work.


I’ve worked part-time for many years, and have always found searching for full time work in my chosen area nigh-on-impossible to do.   The chance of even an interview for an extra part-time job, in the customer service area I know I excel at would be very welcome.


Now, while I can appreciate that many homeowners in the immediate area object, and object strongly, they have an option that many others of us don’t; – they are home owners, and therefore have the option to move.


Yes, I realise that is hard in these difficult times, even without the threat of devaluation.


But those of us blessed with security of full-time work, the finances to purchase their own home and their transport to get around in, have advantages over those of us who don’t.


There’s also been many on the Gazette’s website who feel that this development is “killing” Brentwood.


Rubbish!


It is simply part of changing Brentwood.


I personally welcome this, for the most part.


It saddens me that many of my fellow residents don’t.

The Gazette will probably make a few changes, but hopefully not two many.

After all, I feel I write well enough.   I just don’t punctuate to quite the same degree … 

But one thing I know a lot of the nay-sayers object to is the size of the development.   I was going to other sympathy to those who’ll have homes prices will depreciate.

But I can’t.

I don’t own my flat; – while I’d like to, I’ve never bee in the position to, nor ever expect to; - so I rent socially.

What I really want to have enough hours from however many part-time jobs I can get to pay my way through life, without having to rely on benefits, without being beholden to anyone else, and with maybe enough money to go out, once a week.

The more new businesses given the chance to, boosts my chances in doing this.

Selfish?

Yes.

But pretty much what all of us want in life.

No comments: