Tuesday 17 February 2009

Oh, Dear Gods


Oh, dear gods.

Oh Dear GODS!

Tonight’s been the second washout in the space of a few days.

And, as you can imagine, I am decidedly unhappy about that.

The one thing I will do, right now is Thank Dave and the rest of the Three Muscatears, the one team who did turn up tonight, and who’ve left their 25p’s into the bonus pot.

So at least we can say the bonus is worth 75p.

But it’s depressing – very depressing – and, for me, has had me questioning my preferred choice of extra-curricula activities.

But …

But …

But giving up on this is not something I’m intent on doing.

Frankly I get rewarded for it.

And, equally as frankly, I actually enjoy running them. 

It gets me out of the house of an evening, gives me if not an education, then certainly lets me find out stuff I would otherwise not, allows me to exercise a modest amount of creativity in writing the quizzes, putting the flyers and posters together and writing here, afterwards.

Actually performing them is usually a joy, as well.

It also, and just as importantly, allows me to meet and establish friendships with people I would otherwise not have done.

Something I am grateful for, I will add now.

But you come up against nights like this.

One thing I will do, though, is post up the Table round answers from tonight; – The Three Muscatears deserve that, for turning up!


Q1) Aladdin”, “The Seventh Voyage of Sindbad”, and “The Thief of Baghdad”, are all taken from which Arabic book?

Q2) Which James Bond film title was — according to James Bond’s creator, Ian Fleming — the Bond family motto; – “The World is Not Enough”, “Goldeneye”, or “Diamonds Are Forever”?

Q3) Lewis Carroll’s surreal poem, “The Jabberwocky”, was turned into a film by which comedy troupe?
A3) Monty Python’s Flying Circus

Q4) Who was the author of the “Lord Of The Rings” trilogy?
A4) Professor J. R. R. Tolkien

Q5) The Hellbound Heart” is the short story that got turned into which horror film franchise?
A5) The “Hellraiser” series

Q6) Margaret Mitchell wrote which famously filmed US Civil War novel?

Q7) Terry Pratchett’s Discworld novel, “Mort” was due to be filmed, until Terry decided against it; – because an unnamed studio exec asked if he could remove one of the two central character’s.    WHICH central character?
A7) Death.

Q8) Which literary work chronicles the imprisonment of Edmond Dantes in the Chateau D’if ?

Q9) Benjamin Braddock known is as the title character of a well known novel and film; – WHICH well known novel and film?
A9) The Graduate

Q10) What was the only non James Bond novel by Ian Fleming to be turned into a film?   (And, subsequently, a stage musical?)

I do know there’s lots of reasons for tonight’s washout.

It’s half term, for starters.   Many of the regulars have families they’d rather be spending time with.

Or can’t get affordable childcare for.

And for many of the regulars, it’s mid-way through the monthly pay cycle, as Dave, one of the King Harold’s regular punters pointed out.   A lot are going to be saving whatever’s left for things that are more important priorities.

I can’t say I blame them.

Especially with the state of the economy.

It’s frustrating, though.

But I do know that if the amount of people who’ve enthusiastically turned round to me and said “Yeah, absolutely, we’ll be there, next Tuesday/Thursday” actually turned up, I wouldn’t be having this problem.

I’m intent on carrying on.   This is something I love doing, and have for the past five years.

But, my Lord, no-one ever told me how hard it could be, when I started.

No comments: