Sunday 16 August 2009

Nik Nak’s Home For Adopted iMacs …

Blimey …

I seem to have adopted a very retro, vintage iMac, from some old friends … !

It’s a great looking piece of kit, it really is; complete with two firewire 400 ports, two USB ports, a dial up modem, and an ethernet port.

Which, if I’ve read the various entries, dotted around the net correctly, means this one of the 1998/9, revision c, Graphite version; complete with Mac OS 9.2.

And the Hockey Puck mouse*!

Dear me, I can see why people complained about that mouse … !

Try putting a regular mouse sideways, and the button on the long side, you’ll get the effect.

I’m rather pleased to be able to be able to give it a home; my bedroom’s becoming a veritable Mac museum!

Now all I need to do is get a permanent kettle lead.

And the install discs.

Ooh, and getting the passwords off Chris’d come in handy … !

•••••

Quite what Allison’ll make of it, I don’t know … !

I do know she was over, today, so I could help her set up her laptop’s copy of Evolution Mail.

And figure out a minor problem …

I do know we’d managed to install the Jaunty Jackalope version of Ubuntu on her Ergos laptop; and to hook it up to her o2 mobile broadband dongle, with the following setting, in the Network Connections app.

Number: *99#
Username: o2bb
Password: password

The awkward part of it, is that for some reason, it wouldn’t let Allison reconnect to the ’net, yesterday.

So, with a bit of flair, she deleted the group of saved settings, and re-entered them. Something we did, today, after installing the various updates.

Which, happily, seemed to work.

I think the next stage is to see if we can’t download a calendar app, something I know she’s keen to find.

After all, Evolution is nice.

But, although I’ve managed to set up three or four different accounts, with OS X’s on-board Mail.app, I’m still a little unsure if I’ve set up Evolution, correctly.

I’ll let you know, as soon as I find out!





* Exactly WHY the phrase Horse Puckey springs to mind, here, I really don’t know …

No comments: