Tuesday 11 August 2009

Ubuntu … and the Neighbours … !!!

Bugger!

That was an unexpected crash, from Safari!

Never Mind!!

But I’ve got to admit, I’m happy to announce that I was able to sell on the laptop I’d borrowed from Adrian, to my neighbours, Andy and Claire.

Complete with a freshly installed version of Ubuntu 9.04, I’m happy to say.

I’m just a little disappointed Andy decided to replace it with Windoze!!!

Claire, we’re going to have to have a word, aren’t we?

Disappointing, but that’s consumer choice for you!

I’ve got to admit, though, I had a lot of fun installing it, and the various drivers. Even down to putting in Sun’s Java Runtime Environment. Rather important, as Claire and Andy’s eldest is rather too fond of Runescape for their comfort.

It gave me a chance to learn how to do a clean install.

And apply those various retail sales skills I’ve picked up, over the years, on something other than alcohol!!

And as I told Claire tonight, it’ll be easy enough to partition the hard drive. I know her and Andy’s eldest rather liked the iCandy that that version of Ubuntu featured.

I’m just hoping Adrian gets hold of another laptop he want’s rid of …

I had a whale of a time organising that for him!!!

•••••

At any rate, whilst I’ve been writing this, I’ve had one of my favourite episodes of “The Prisoner” playing in the background; episode 11, “It’s Your Funeral”.

Now, I always felt that the 1960s original series was 17 episodes of extremely deep — complicated, baffling, what have you — riveting stuff.

And part of what made “It’s Your Funeral” so watchable, for me, was Derren Nesbitt, as the Interim Number 2.

Now, the series featured quite a few actors as the Village’s chief administrator; Leo McKern, Rumpole of the Bailey, being generally seen as the fan’s favourite.

But Nesbitt, as the laid-back lounge-lizard?

Very different stuff!

And incredibly watchable, as a spectacle waving plotter.

I’ve got to admit, AMC, the people producing the remake, made a bloody good decision in casting Sir Ian McKellan, as the new series No. 2.

But there are times when you really have to go back to sources.




No comments: