Monday 30 November 2009

A Clue, A Clue, My Kingdom for A Clue!

Isn’t it weird, sometimes, the questions you get asked, at work?

Isn’t it?

It is … !

Bless, I had Kevin Z texting me, briefing, about software: as you know, he, like another old friend, Tim, has made the switch from Windoze to Ubuntu.

Quite happily, for the most part.

Apart from the usual quirks of wondering what various bits and bobs actually do, within GIMP!

And forgetting how to use the Save As button!

Oy!

I do know he’s in the middle of trying to write a book at the moment.

And wanting to adding musical notation to various parts of it!

I’ve got admit that I really didn’t have a clue!

I do know he’s after musical transcription software; of which there seems to be tons!

I do know I was able to point him at Audacity, though, the handy little open-source app for recording stuff. I know he’s got a laptop with an iffy sound-card, but at least he’ll be able to strum away happily, knowing he’s got at least the idea’s on tape.

Well, digital tape, anyway.

•••••

Oh, talking of audio files, I’m going to quickly thank ComBom, who managed to flag a (brief) interview that DJ, Steve Wright, did — I believe, today — saying what’s happening with a potential Series Four of Torchwood.

It’s brief, but … well, judge for yourselves …

•••••

Now, one thing I will say, right here and now, is that I recorded this evening’s episode of I’m Sorry, I Haven’t A Clue, for when I got home from work.

Fantastic!!!!

Jack Dee, bless him, is looking to be a very good replacement for Humph!

And Graeme Garden managed to mention a long time favourite of the Gardeners Film Club: Bring Me The Hedge of Alfredo Garcia

•••••

Oh …

Almost forgot …

I was talking to Tim, yesterday, about a laptop he’d seen on eBay, with what was described as a flat CMOS battery; neither of us had an initial clue what it was, but after a little digging around, I found out that it’s the battery that powers up the clock, on a computer’s motherboard. Replacing it does look tricky.

But doable, with a little patience.

And a tea-towel …

But it got me to thinking it may help, just in case I need to tinker with the vintage G3 iMac, I’ve got, sitting in the corridor!

Which got me at least checking out the possibilities

No comments: