Wednesday 21 April 2010

The Hump

You know, right at the moment, I've got to confess to having a case of the right royal, rampaging fornicating Hump!

As, no doubt, Allison, Tim and Kelly will be able to tell you.

Right at the moment, I'm sitting in Brentwood's library - and there's a whole other story to tell you, THERE*, by the way - typing away, because my router's playing up.
The ROUTER!

I am not happy, right at the moment.

Although I've got to admit I am rather thankful that Allison has the forgiving nature that she does, because I did get a bit snotty, to say the least!

And that's understating it ...

Now, I've been in touch with my ISP, by the way.

Which is how I'm assured that it's a problem with the hub, rather than anything else.

*****

Like billing issues, for example ...

*****

I'm not so sure, though.

I do know, that having gone through all the possible network preferences I can, and switched routers, as well, I'm getting a "Your IP Address has been assigned to another machine" dialogue, with alarming regularity.

I think I'd appreciate any thoughts, or help, here.

Text me, people.

I'm going to need that, I think ...

*****
But, in the mean time?

LORD knows what I'm doing to be doing: except that - while I'm waiting for the new router to turn up - I'll be trudging up here to the library, to get busy, posting up the Teaser.

It won't quite be as early as normal.

But it will be here.

Catch you in the metaphorical morning, people.



* Including the fact that the library's poster telling us not to watch live TV has a picture of an iMac ...

2 comments:

Mark said...

Hi,

Couldn't help but take an interest in your Router issue. You say that you're getting the message "Your IP Address has been assigned to another machine" - presumably it's your machine that's telling you that and NOT your Router?

I don't want to point out the obvious but your Router is responsible for connecting to your ISP and then your machines in-turn connect to your Router (which then obviously routes traffic to the Internet and back to your machine - this is call NATing (Network Address Translation)). If you're receiving the message that your IP address is already in use then it's likely that you are not making use of the Routers DHCP service which dynamically allocates an IP address to your machine and that in fact you are manually allocating an IP address on your machine that is already in use.

Can I suggest that you either change the IP adress on your machine (so if it's currently something like 192.168.1.1 - you change it to 192.168.1.27) or you change your machine to dynamically get an IP address from the Router (assuming the Routers DHCP service is switched on - you normally find this in the settings).

I hope this helps?

Regards,

Mark

Nik Nak said...

Yes, Mark, it’s been the machine, rather than the router that’s been telling me this.

I’m thinking I definitly need to have a tinker, I know that …

Mark, can I ask if you know anything about Mac Minis, vintage Bondi Blue iMac’s, or — the key point — the BT Home Hub?