Tuesday 22 June 2010

More Complications …

You know, it sounds like Councillor Chilvers has some more work cut out for her, as I’ve been hearing a few things.

It seems the the Great Rollason Way Parking Saga has some more complications being added.

Or extra runes.

Or more fuel to the fire: as the Arsonist Said to the Bishop … !!

But, at any rate, there’s more going on than I’d thought. Seemingly, there’s plans afoot to turn the small patch of greenery at the end of Saint James Rod to get turned into more flats.

Not that I mind, but I do know a lot of my fellow residents are wondering about how much more of a burden this is going to be on the local parking.

I can’t help but think it’ll be more!

Purely and simply because, as one neighbour pointed out to me, because the actual plans are for something like seventy-one flats.

And forty or so actual parking spaces.

All for the relatively minor loss of some obviously unused* and unappreciated green space. (Feel free to insert as much irony as you need.)

Nothing new, there, then, given the planning history of the areaº!

Now, it’s no foregone conclusion that it’ll pass: absolutely not.

My personal hope is that the application doesn’t.

The neighbours and me will at least get some greenery to look at … …

‹‹‹•›››

Just as a footnote, I got alerted to this by Piers Meyler, one of the Gazettes reporters, sending me this email:

Hi Paul,

We spoke some time ago about the development situation in and around Rollason Way.
I write following the announcement that Taylor Wimpey want to build 71 flats in Station Approach.
Obviously these are in addition to the 53 approved last month which were themselves in addition to 350 approved some time ago
It would bring the total homes in the area to well over 500.
Please could I have your comments on the situation down there

Piers Meyler | Reporter | 01245 603427| www.thisistotalessex.co.uk

Here’s my reply:

Well, where exactly do I /start,/ Piers?

From what I’ve been able to pick up, from talking to my fellow resident’s, the actual plans include 71 one and two bedroom flats, with 40 or so parking spaces.

Which means our oh so wonderfully efficient council has make another planning mistake.

And trust me, I’m seriously resisting the urge to get vernacular, there!

After all, as you probably know, residents here on Rollason Way have something like ¾ of a parking space each.

Now, as I’ve always maintained, while I don’t actually drive, it is nice to be able to tell visiting friends and family members where they can park: and give the the parking permit that tells the clampers in our street NOT to clamp their cars.

So the news that there’s more flats being built in the area — AGAIN, with insufficient parking — isn’t good.

Especially as residents in the area have been arguing for some months with both Crest Nicholson, AND SouthAnglia Housing Trust, about the availability of the parking in the area.

What’s more, the planned flats are to go on what’s — so far — been the only bit of greenery in the area: a small piece of garden that could so easily be opened to the public.

It strikes me that Brentwood Council, in the rush to make for any money lost in council taxes in today’s budget, are desperately trying to get MORE residents in the area to make up for the loss.

And ruin everyone elses lives in the process.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I think I owe my reading public a blog post about that …

And here’s the one Joan Holmes sent me …
Its very obvious that you have missed the point and Piers if you look into it you will see that the developer has only just submitted an application.
As you well know that does not mean that it will get passed. A report has to be done which with major development takes about three months or so then they make a recommendation which goes to Panel. If the panel decides it’s a good idea they might pass it and if they don't then they won't but they will take everything into consideration and if residents write in with their objections then they will be listened to.

This application has not come from the council although you seem to think it has so I don't know where you are getting your information from or are you just supposing.

It would be rather nice if you got the facts right and stop scaremongering.

Regards

Joan Holmes



Cllr Joan Holmes
Councillor for Brentwood West
Deputy Mayor of Brentwood
T: 01277 224953
E: joan.holmes@brentwood.gov.uk

Nice and polite!

I think that definitely means I’m not voting Conservative at the next elections … !

Get objecting, folks … !!

‹‹‹@›››





* Mostly unused because no-one’s allowed to get to it. Shame, really, it would’ve made for a great bit of mini-park for the local kids to play in!

º And, my word, there’s a lot of phrases I could use, there! ‘Oncoming Complete and Utter bureaucratic mess’ is just the mildest … !


No comments: