Wednesday 14 July 2010

The Ninth Gate: Into the Outdoors with Bell, Book and Candles


You know, I’ve got to admit, I meant to get started on this post, a little earlier.


But, bless ’em, I had to go shopping, today.


And fill in a quick email to send off to the Brentwood Gazette.


And, what’s more, I had old friends — and regular Old Peculiar commentors — Sue and Andy, over, earlier.


Along with a rather big bag of Sue’s really rather distracting home-made peanut-butter cookies … !


All that, and BBC 3’s showing V for Vendetta, which has to be something of a favourite movie ; !


‹‹‹~›››


Actually, to be accurate, I wanted to get started on his, last night.


But my word, I weren’t half tired … !


‹‹‹‡›››


Right, now where was I … ?


Oh, yeah, I meant to tell you about the film that I, movie Night Adrian, and Squeaky managed to catch.


Tha 1999, Roman Polanski directed, Johnny Depp film, The Ninth Gate.


It sees Depp as unscrupulous rare book dealer, Dean Corso, hired by rich bibliophile Boris Balkan, played by Frank Langella.


Balkan has a problem, and one that he feels only Corso can help him with. Balkan has one of the last three surviving copies of The Book of The Nine Gates of The Kingdom of Shadows and he needs Corso to authenticate his copy.


There’s twists.


Isn’t there always … ?


For starters, the book is one thats rumoured to have been co-authored by Lucifer, himself.


And, as the film progresses, Corso discovers that each copy appears to be both genuine.


And identical in all respects.


Bar one.


Or maybe I should say three.


Each has a series of nine engravings.


But each of the three copies of the book has three engravings that have minor, but noticeable differences to the parallel versions in the other two copies.


And it’s a different three engravings* in each copy.


Obviously, Corso doesn’t realise this, until he get’s to examine each of them.


The trouble, of course, is that, in tracking down the book, he seems to be asking for trouble.


‹‹‹‡›››


Now, here comes the crunch. Is this a film worth watching … ?


I think it is.


I know that the mildly controversial Roman Polanski doesn’t produce work that’s going to be to everyones taste.


But I do know that 2 out of the three of us watching The Ninth Gate last night were glued to it°.


And that’s got to be worth mentioning …










* The one screen grab I did, was an attempt to show this. Let’s call each copy of the book, A, B and C. Now number the engravings, from 1 to 9. Engravings A1, A2 and A3 are different to the versions in B and C, Engravings B4, B5 and B6 are different to the parallel versions in in A and C, and Engravings C7, C8 and C9 are … you get the point … !


º With the third being glued whenever Johnny Depp got his shirt off. Can’t think why …




1 comment:

Indefatigable said...

Seen this film several times now, and will most likely watch it again at same point, but just now i have a few dvds i haven't even seen once yet.