Monday 2 August 2010

The Daily Teaser …

You know, I mentioned, last night, about decaffeinated teabags … ?

You didn’t … ?

Well, I did … !

But it’s always the way that — this time of the morning — is always the time I feel I least need them … !

‹‹‹•›››

Let’s move on, shall we … ?

Yes, let’s …

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor and Kaiju putting in answers: and I’m thinking that Kaiju’s finally managed to bag a coffee as both he and Trevor managed to score five out of five. And both managed to put in their trade-mark extras: Trevor managing some great quotes from Marcus Antonius, and and Kaiju telling us some extra detail’s about the Reverend Joseph Priestly.

Who, it turns out, invented soda water, as well as isolating Oxygen.

Handy to know, actually: I think the Temperance movement wouldn’t have been able to get started, without it …

I’m gabbling, again, aren’t I … ?

Let’s move on, shall we … ? And see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we … ? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’ and License

Q1) 2nd August, 1932, saw the birth of the start of the stage play, Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell: what was his name … ?

Q2) 2nd August, 1932, also saw the discovery of the Positron, or anti-electron: which biochemist famously had a side career writing about things built — in part — from positrons … ?

Q3) 2nd August, 1610, saw Captain Henry Hudson sail into what’s now called Hudon’s Bay: where did he think he was … ?

Q4) 2nd August, 1984, saw the European Court of Human Rights declare what to be illegal … ?

Q5) 2nd August is Virgen de los Angeles Day, a public holiday in which Central American country … ?


Q6) 2nd August, 1939, saw the birth of director, Wes Craven: which of his films earned him a Best Director gong at the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films, USA, in 1997 … ?


Q7) And finally … 2nd August, 1939, saw Albert Einstein and Leó Szilárd write a letter to President Franklin D. Roosevelt, urging the construction of what … ?

And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers.

Q1) 1st August, 1774, saw the Reverend Joseph Priestly discover which gas … ?

A1) Oxygen.

Q2) 1st August, 1944, saw the beginnings of the uprising that liberated which European city … ?
A2) Warsaw.

Q3) 1st August, 1968, saw the coronation of Hassanal Bolkiah Mu’izzaddin Waddaulah, as the 29th Sultan of where … ?
A3) Brunei.

Q4) 1st August, 1914, saw the formal start of the First World War, when Germany declared war on … where … ?
A4) Russia.

Q5) And finally … 1st August, 10 BC, saw the birth of the Roman emperor, Claudius 1st: or Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, to give him his full name. Who played Claudius in the TV series, I, Claudius?

A5) Derek Jacobi.

Enjoy those, everyone.

And enjoy the clips from I, Claudius: as I said to Kaiju, yesterday, it wasn’t until I saw the one with Patrick Stewart, I noticed the series’ soundtrack …






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Q1 Peter Seamus Lorcan O'Toole
Q2 Isaac Asimov
Q3 The Pacific Ocean
Q4 phone-tapping
Q5 Costa Rica
Q6 Scream
Q7 nuclear weapon
Trevor

“Agnes Darling, if such should be we never meet again, while firing my last shot, I will gently breathe the name of my wife - Agnes - and with wishes even for my enemies I will make the plunge and try to swim to the other shore.”

“My dearly beloved if I am to die today and never see the sweet face of you I want you to know that I am no great man and am lucky to have such a woman as you.”

Wild Bill Hickok died August 2 1876.

“The nation that secures control of the air will ultimately control the world.”

“America is a country of inventors, and the greatest of inventors are the newspaper men.”

“Great discoveries and improvements invariably involve the cooperation of many minds. I may be given credit for having blazed the trail, but when I look at the subsequent developments I feel the credit is due to others rather than to myself.”

“A man, as a general rule, owes very little to what he is born with - a man is what he makes of himself.”

Alexander Graham Bell died August 2 1922.

AlexandraFunFit said...

1. Um, Jeffrey Bernard? I think you mean the "star" not the "start" but I am ignoring that.
2. Gene Wilder in "Young Frankenstein"
3. Hudson's Folly
4. torture
5. All the ones with voting virgins
6. Nightmare on Elm Street probably
7. Things that go BOOM, such as atomic bombs