Sunday 8 August 2010

The Daily Teaser …

You know, I’ve got to admit, I had something of a late night, last night.

As you may or may not know, by know, me and some friends usually manage to get together to catch a DVD.

Which we did.

And, as usual, I manage to get a post up: or at least, started to get a post up.

I’m intent on finishing that, today: after all, much as I’d’ve loved to finish it, last night, it did get put on hold at 1:30 ish …

‹‹‹•›››

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor bagging 5* out of 6, and putting in a couple of quotes from — of all people — Stan Laurel, of Laurel and Hardy fame.

Turns out he died on the 7th August, 1965.

Which is handy to know …

But lets move on, shall we … ?

Lets see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we … ? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’ and License

Q1) 8th August, 1988, saw the death of English actor, Alan Napier: or Alan William Napier-Clavering, to give him his full name. In which 1960s US series will many having remembered seeing him play a butler …… ?


Q2) 8th August, 1930, saw the birth of Welsh novelist and screen-writer, Terry Nation: name any of the British science-fiction shows he was involved with …

Q3) 31 years later, 8th August, 1961, saw the birth of guitarist, David Howell Evans: how is he better known?

Q4) More to the point, which band is he a member of … ?

Q5) August 8th, 2004, saw the death of which iconic horror film actress … ?


Q6) And finally … 8th August, 1937, saw the birth of actor, Dustin Hoffman: in which 1967 film did he make his break-through appearance … ?


And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) 7th August, 1972, saw Idi Amin order the Asian population of the country he ruled: which African country was it … ?

A1) Uganda.

Q2) 7th August, 1958, saw the birth of the better known of Iron Maiden’s lead singers: what’s his name … ?
A2) Bruce Dickinson.

Q3) More to the point, what was the name of the singer who first recorded for Iron Maiden … … ?
A3) Paul Di’Ano. (Who wasn’t their first front man: just the first who recorded with them.)

Q4) 7th August, 1679, saw the maiden voyage of Le Gtiffon: this was the first ship to successfully sail on at least three of the … what?
A4) Great Lakes.

Q5) 7th August, 1782, saw President George Washington order the creation of the Badge of Military Merit: how is this medal now known … ?

A5) The Purple Heart.

Q6) And finally … 7th August, 1876, saw the birth of spy, courtesan and exotic dancer, Margaretha Geertruida “Grietje” Zelle MacLeod: how was she better known … ?

A6) Mata Hari.

Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later.

Once I’ve finished that movie post

‹‹‹•›››



* Don’t forget, Trevor, I asked about the singer who first recorded with Iron Maiden, not who first sang with them … !


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

@soolebop Q6 is the Graduate... I think. any way great post! As usual I learn some thing new every day thanks to you. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Q1 Alfred the Butler in Batman
Q2 Doctor Who , Blake’s 7 , Survivors
Q3 The Edge
Q4 U2
Q5 Vina Fay Wray
Q6 The Graduate

Trevor

“A good review from the critics is just another stay of execution.”

“I decided to become an actor because I was failing in school and I needed the credits.”

“I stopped working a few years ago because I just lost a spark that I'd had before. I thought I'd just try writing, and maybe start directing, but I did it very quietly.”

“Myth is supposed to bring us together, but fantasy alienates us.”

“There's a rebirth that goes on with us continuously as human beings. I don't understand, personally, how you can be bored. I can understand how you can be depressed, but I just don't understand boredom.”

Quotes by Dustin Hoffman

Kaiju said...

1. Batman, Alfred
2. Dr. Who, The Saint, Survivors, The Avengers (He was a prolific fellow.)
3. The Edge (or just Edge)
4. U2
5. Fay Wray
6. The Graduate