Thursday 23 September 2010

The Daily Teaser …

You know, you probably wouldn’t believe it, but I’m actually on to my second cuppa, this morning.

Ooooh, but that don’t half help!

And I also know I’ve borrowed Matt Hill’s Triumph of a Time Lord from Brentwood Library: I’ve just started it, and I think I’m going to have to look up the word ‘intertextual’. It looks like it’s aimed at someone a touch more academic than me.

Well …

That and semiotics: I used to pour beer for a living. it’s not a pair of that usually crop up.

Unless one of the regulars was feeling seriously philosophical …

«««•»»»

Lets get moving on, shall we … ?

Yesterday’s Teaser was nice and busy. It saw Kaiju beating both Mr Strict and Trevor to the punch by getting in his answers first. It also saw both he and Mr S scoring 6 out of 6, with Trevor bagging 5 out of 6.

Let’s see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’ and License
Q1) 23rd September, 1122, saw the signing of the Concordat Of Worms: name either of the leaders who signed it.


Q2) Quite a few years later, 23rd September, 2002 saw the first public release of which web-browser … ?

Q3) 23rd September, 1215 saw the birth of Mongol Emperor, Kublai Khan: which English poet completed a poem named after him, in 1797?

Q4) 23rd September, 1920, saw the birth of actor, Joseph Yule Jnr: how is he better known … ?

Q5) And finally … 23rd September, 1909, saw the first part of which French novel published as a serial … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 22nd September, 1915, saw the birth of which star of Dad’s Army?

A1) Arthur Lowe.

Q2) More to the point, what was his character, in Dad’s Army?
A2) Captain Mainwaring. (Pronounced MAN-a-ring, for those of us of who don’t speak UK English.)

Q3) 22nd September, 1965, saw the end of the Second Kashmir War: name either of the countries who fought it.
A3) India and Pakistan.

Q4) 22nd September, 1515, saw the birth of which of Henry 8th’s wives?
A4) Anne of Cleves.

Q5) More to the point, was her marriage to Henry 8th ended by an axe, or an annulment?
A5) An annulment.

Q6) And finally … 22nd September, 2001, saw reporter John Simpson smuggled into which country?

A6) Afghanistan.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later.



2 comments:

Kaiju said...

1. Pope Calixtus II and Holy Roman Emperor Henry V
2. Phoenix
3. Samuel Taylor Coleridge
4. Mickey Rooney
5. The Phantom of the Opera

Anonymous said...

Q1 Blessed Pope Calixtus II & Henry V, Holy Roman Emperor
Q2 Mozilla Firefox ("Phoenix 0.1")
Q3Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Q4 Mickey Rooney
Q5 The Phantom of the Opera (original title: Le Fantôme de l'Opéra)

Trevor

“A lot of people have asked me how short I am. Since my last divorce, I think I'm about $100,000 short.”

“Always get married in the morning. That way if it doesn't work out, you haven't wasted the whole day.”

“I buy women shoes and they use them to walk away from me.”

“I was a thirteen-year-old boy for thirty years.”

“I'm the only man in the world with a marriage licence made out to whom it may concern.”

“When I say I do, the justice of the peace replies, 'I know, I know...'”

“You always pass failure on your way to success.”

Quotes by Mickey Rooney born 23 September 1920