Wednesday 26 January 2011

The Gazette … Once More … !

Hmmm …

You know, the Gazette’s done it, again …

Yep.

It’s done an article about Councillor Leader, Louise McKinley, in the on-going row about Brentwood’s town hall.

Seems the councillor had something of a web chat about it.

Not that that’s what caught me eye.

A line at the end, did.

But here’s what I said to them, this week …
I’m writing in response to the article about the Town Hall. Or rather, about Councillor McKinley’s webchat Q & A session about it.

The line that caught my attention … ?

“… How the Council plans to support High Street Traders”.

I’ll be honest, I’m wondering whether the council’s bothered about them.

You see, I worked at Arnold’s Gift Centre, many years ago, and can still remember him complaining that, while the rent on his shop wasn’t too bad, the actual business rates charged by the council were …

Well, his word was “extortionate”.

Now, I’ll happily admit I don’t own a business in Brentwood High Street.

But I do work in one. And have seen my hours cut as a result of the recent post-Christmas downturn. I’m having to sign on as a part-time worker, in order to make ends meet as a result.

And can’t help but notice that hardly a week goes by without some small businesses complaining about the state of the economy, the rates, the bills, the rates, the rent, the rates …

What have you.

I also can’t help notice the number of businesses in Brentwood High Street who’ve closed over the past few weeks: Subway is only the most noticeable.

Partly … ?

I’m thinking that’s less jobs I can apply for.

And I’m also wondering about something else, too.

Is Brentwood Council going to lower the business rates it charges?

I want full time work.

High council tax rates on Brentwood High Street?

Doesn’t exactly encourage businesses — or jobs — to Brentwood.
Hopefully, that’ll get published: I’m starting to get one or two people I know say they miss it when I’m not in there …

|««•»»|

One thing I did notice, though, while I was floating around the Gazette’s site, though … ?

Was the fact you can now get a digitised copy of Brentwood’s local paper.

Ho-HUM … !

I’m just surprised they haven’t come up with an iPad version … …

No comments: