Saturday 5 February 2011

Saving our Libraries

Hmmm ...

Now, there’s a thing …

You see, I’ve got to admit, just to highlight the fact that today is 'Save Our Library' Day, I’m actually at Brentwood Library, posting this.

You can probably tell, can’t you, by the way my usual quotation marks and apostrophes have been replaced by the bog-standard ones on a PC keyboard.

At any rate, I thought that coming to Brentwood Library would be a perfect way to highlight the fact that for many people - myself included, when I started writing the quizzes that were this very blogs inspiration - relied on their local library’s computers - and internet connection - for the things they needed to do, online.

Now, by the sounds of it, Essex Library service doesn't sound like it's going to be closing any of its libraries down.

But it is having a ‘Consultation’ about changing the opening hours for Brentwood, Shenfield and Ingatestone libraries, starting on the 14th of February and running until the 27th.

My thinking, here ... ?

Apart from shock at the amount of typos and weird pop-ups an unfamiliar keyboard is inducing ... ?

Is that on my way out I’m going to fill in the part of the consultation form in Brentwood Library that says I want my library to be as open for as long as possible.

I’m also going to suggest that you, and as many many as of your friends in the Essex area do likewise.

Oh, and enjoy the book you get out, as well.

And just as a final thought ... ?

Just so you know, you can now also say “Hello” to Movie Night Adrian, whose photo I’ve also included: he’s decided he may as well have it put up here, as he’s already joined Facebook … !

No comments: