Sunday 20 February 2011

Saving Our Library: The Photo Call, completed …

You know, I’ve got to admit, I can really get distracted by some of Facebook’s sillier games, I really can.

I had intended to get started with this post, about an hour ago.

’Til one went right to my head.

Ahem … !

Needless Beachboyism, there, I think …

At any rate, I meantbefore I got distracted — to tell you about where I was, earlier, this afternoon.

I was at Brentwood Library.

With a trio of Lib-Dem councillors, and a lot of people complaining about it.

Well …

Allow me to be accurate, here, complaining about the consultation Essex County Council have put in place, regarding the new hours for Brentwood Library.

In case you’ve not been following it, Essex County Council aren’t closing any of the county’s libraries.

Instead, they’re reducing the amount of hours each one is open.

In Brentwood Library’s case … ?

The hours are being reduced from sixty-one hours a week, to forty-eight.

With no provision for Sunday opening.

Now, can I be honest, here … ?

I work part-time.

So, for me, personally, the fact that Brentwood Library’s shut on a Sunday makes very little difference.

But I can remember working more hours than I now do.

Especially in the early days of the Old Peculiar pub quizzes, having access to the internet, via Brentwood Library, was vital: both for research, writing the quizzes, and checking on questions.

Like you wouldn’t believe … !

So while I may not have need the library open on Sunday’s at the moment — what with having my own ’Net connection and computer, indoors — the fact it’s been and currently still is open on a Sunday … ?

Has been bloody useful, over the years.

|»»•««|

Actually, just as one final point, here.

You remember me mentioning the proposed new opening hours … ?

Yes … ?

Option’s A, B and C … ?

Now, I don’t know how Essex County Council pays its staff for working Sundays: double-time, day off in lieu, what-have-you.

But I’m willing to bet that that’s the main stumbling block to having one or two libraries in a given catchment area open on Sunday.

I can also remember that, when it first opened on Sunday’s, Brentwood Library also only ever opened half-days on Wednesdays: Brentwood used to have Half-Day closing on Wednesday, lord knows why.

So I’m willing to bet the staff costs are the main reason why Essex County Council didn’t suggest an Option D that looked something like this …

  • Monday 9am to 5pm
  • Tuesday 9am to 5pm
  • Wednesday 9am to 1pm
  • Thursday 9am to 5pm
  • Friday 9am to 5pm
  • Saturday 9am to 5pm
  • Sunday 1pm to4pm
  • Just a thought for you.

    |‹‹•››|


    10 comments:

    Cllr Karen Chilvers said...

    Paul
    I love that, although you are not now directly affected, you see how other people could be and turn out to support fellow residents. Thank you.

    As far as a I know, working on Sundays attracts double time if it is extra time or over your contracted hours but, if it is your normal contracted hours, it actually doesn't.

    Your ideas are sensible - but of course ECC are making it quite difficult for you to put that forward!

    I will post the template letter up on my blog later.

    Karen

    Linda Ward said...

    9-5 during the week is crap as well in my opinion, needs to be open late at least a couple of nights. It used to be closed all day on at least one day a week just so they could open Saturday, but that was a long time ago!

    Your blog is horribly bright btw, but looks a lot better now the posts are right at the top. Forgive me for being personal. Or not. I don't care. ;)

    Nik Nak said...

    Don’t know if you read the earlier post, Linda, but Option A saw the library closed Wednesdays and Sundays, but open ’til 7pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. And 5pm on a Saturday.

    And we’re still using IE, aren’t we, … ? Not one for rendering things correctly, was it … ?

    And, Councillor, thanks!

    Actually, if you can email the template letter over to me, along with the link to the relevant post and the address … ?

    I can plonk it up on the next post …

    Debbi said...

    I'm wracking my brain and can't for the life of me recall seeing a local politician respond to a blogger in the States like Cllr Chilvers has here.

    Could be it's happened, and I've simply never seen it. It's awesome and to be commended. Really. :)

    Pink Fluff said...

    The current Sunday hours are too late for people coming out of church, and without Sunday buses that stops others among us from going. 12-3 opening might be better.

    Early closing day or day off mid-week was once common in all shops. The library continued this tradition longer than other places.

    Having the library shut or on reduced hours on Wednesdays was a pain.

    I like late evening opening - it is useful for people coming from school or work. Maybe internet has reduced the number of children studying in the library in the evening, but there are still those without internet access at home, and those who need to pick up books who like the library open in the evening.

    Cllr Karen Chilvers said...

    Thanks Debbi that's really kind! I do actually enjoy chatting to and helping residents!

    Paul, here's the link (http://karenchilvers.mycouncillor.org.uk/2011/02/20/library-photo-call-a-success/) and thanks for alerting me to my compliment from America - that's up there with my casework from Australia from a concerned relative about one of my elderly residents.

    Nik Nak said...

    Keep up, Councillor, I’ve just added a post … !

    And the link …

    Oh, and the letter …

    Ahem … !

    And Pink, thank you for commenting.

    The trouble is that — given the circumstances — I don’t perosnally think that any of the options please anyone!

    Linda Ward said...

    Paul I was responding to your suggested times.

    Also "And we’re still using IE, aren’t we, … ?"

    Well *we* might be, but *I* am not. I haven't used IE since 2001.

    Nik Nak said...

    Good for you, Linda!

    But, at any rate, Option A includes provision for late closing: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at 7pm: but still no Sunday opening.

    The one’s I put up … ?

    Were suggestions, but, like any of these things, not ones that’ll please everyone.

    Nik Nak said...

    Just thought, Linda, Fluff, in case you missed it, you can vote for you preferred options, here