Wednesday 2 November 2011

The Midnight Meat Train: Blood, Guts and Seriously Disturbing Bits … !

I’ve GOT to admit, I had a quiet night in, last night.

Well …

Quietish … bar the ‘Eww, GROSS’ comments I managed to come out with …

You see, there really was not a lot on TV, last night.

Let me rephrase that: there was plenty.

But nothing that was actually reaching out to me and saying “Hello, I’m worth your time: please watch me and enjoy my company” …

He says, trying DESPERATELY to not sound like he talks to his TV set …

But that simple lack of anything on TV I felt was worth watching … ?

Had me rooting through my film collection, to see what I had sitting around saying ‘Watch Me’.

Thankfully … ?

I THINK I found something …

~≈†≈~

Based on the Clive Barker short story of the same name, Midnight Meat Train stars Bradley Cooper, as struggling photographer, Leon.

Leon is slowly building a portfolio of photos: until, one day, his girlfriend, Maya (Leslie Bibb), and their friend Jurgis (Roger Bart), put him in touch with art dealer, Susan Hoffs (Brooke Shields)

Susan wants photos from Leon that are darker than his usual fare.

Travelling home on the late train, Leon takes a series of shots of a young woman who’s being menaced by a group of thugs.

Including the one that is — as it turns out — the last one of the young woman alive.

The only clue … ?

Being a ring with an eight-pointed star on a hand …

Belonging to a solitary passenger called Mahogany, played by Vinnie Jones.

~≈†≈~

Now …

What did I think about The Midnight Meat Train … ?

Good question, actually … !

I’ve got to admit, I enjoyed it.

But I’m also very that this is not a film for the faint hearted: I felt a bit queasy about some scenes.

On the upside, though … ?

The Midnight Meat Train is also a beautifully shot and lit film: putting me in mind of David Lynch’s Eraserhead, in that regard.

All power to director, Ryuhei Kitamura, there, I think.

Personally … ?

I’d suggest renting The Midnight Meat Train.

But don’t say I didn’t warn you … !
The Midnight Meat Train
★★

4 comments:

DEATH COMES TO US ALL said...

These are an interesting post, Midnight Meat train was a good film but wasn't for those who don't like gory films. However, the story kept you gripped in my opinion. Loved the end

Nik Nak said...

Exactly my point, I think, Anne.

It’s gory … but gripping.

And wasn’t Vinnie Jones riveting?

DEATH COMES TO US ALL said...

He certainly played the role very well. The body language was that convincing I imagine people after seeing the movie would be wary of him lol

Nik Nak said...

I think they’d be wary of him, Any way, Anne.

I seem to recall he had a … bit of a reputation, when he played football.