Sunday 1 January 2012

Sherlock Series 2: A Scandal in Belgravia

Oh, now hang on … !

That …

Is definitely it … !

Now you’re possibly thinking, “Slow down, Paul, what’s got you … ?”

I’ll be frank … ?

It’s tonight’s first episode of the second season of Sherlock, the Steven Moffat/Mark Gatiss/Beryl Vertue update of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s best loved character, Sherlock Holmes.

Tonight’s episode … ?

Tonight’s episode, if you haven’t guessed from the title, is updated series take on A Scandal in Bohemia, called A Scandal in Belgravia.

‹‹·››
2/1/2012
Sorry, sorry, I know, I’ve left it a little long … !

But I’ve been having all sorts of fun with vlc, HandBrake and MPEG Streamclip: I might just fill you in later, if I get the chance.

At any rate, let’s carry on from where I left you, shall I … ?

Yes …

I’ll happily admit to have watched the first series of the Steven Moffat/Mark Gatiss/Beryl Vertue update of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes stories, called simply Sherlock.

Last night’s episode, A Scandal in Belgravia, was both the opening episode for the second of the updated series, and that updates take on A Scandal in Bohemia.

A Scandal in Belgravia sees Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman reprising their roles as Holmes and Watson*, and follows on —almost directly — from the closing episode of series 1.

After showing us how Holmes and Watson manage to get clear of Moriartyº, events move to both London and the Lake District: where, as Holmes is helping clear up the mysterious death of a hiker, he’s summoned to Buckingham Palace by his brother, Mycroft.

Where he and Dr Watson are asked to retrieve a set of photos from a high class dominatrix called Irene Adler.

A case that goes rapidly astray, as Ms Adler proves more of a match than out heroes expect.

‹‹·››

Now …

Am I impressed … ?

Yes, I surely am … !

The Moffat/Gatis/Vertue writing crew have shown themselves to to be an eminently capable batch of writers, and with this particular episode … ?

I’m thinking Moffat’s done rather well.

Can I make a suggestion, here … ?

If you can get hold of A Scandal in Belgravia … ?

I’m going to suggest you watch it.

I think you’re going to find yourself watching a very good piece of drama.











* In a throwaway line in last nights episode, Watson reveals that his middle name is Hamish. I know they probably made that up: or read their Sayers. But I have to admit, I’ve been wondering for years …

º That was possibly the most impressive use of the awkwardly timed phone call I’ve ever seen!

2 comments:

Arun said...

Nice review of the episode.

For a different look at this episode, check out my review .

Cheers!

Arun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.