Tuesday 17 April 2012

The Daily Teaser — 17-4-2012

Hmmm … 

Well, that’s a thing: and a thing, what’s more, that I’m grateful for.

Bless her,my mother’s quite a woman: and one that’s also decided to buy me a new bed.

One that’s due to be delivered today.

Remind me, when I get the chance,  to say “Thank You” to her.

And possibly sing her a song.

So long as it’s not the one I actually had floating around my head, this morning, I should be ok …
Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

‹‹•››

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: and, along with wondering about the ancient British law against eating minced spiders on Christmas Day*, also bagging 5 out of 5.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and Video
Q1) 17th April, 1951, saw what become the UK’s first national park: Dartmoor, the Peak District or the Lake District … ?
Q2) 17th April, 1978, saw the assassination of politician, Mir Akbar Khyber: which lead to a communist coup d’etat in which country … ?
Q3) 17th April, 1969, saw Bernadette Devlin elected as Britain’s youngest MP: for which constituency … ?
Q4) More to the point, how old was she?
Q5) 17th April, 1897, saw the small Texan town of Aurora hit by a what … ?
Q6) And finally … 17th April, 69 AD, saw who become Emperor of Rome?

And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 16th April, 1457BC, is the best estimate of the word’s earliest recorded battle: at which small Israeli settlement … ?   A1) Megiddo: also known as Armageddon … 
Q2) 16th April, 1945, saw the US Army liberate the Colditz PoW camp: who played Flight Lieutenant Phil Carrington, in the BBC series, Colditz … ?   A2) Robert Wagner.
Q3) 16th April, 1953, saw the Queen officially launch the Royal Yacht, Britannia: in which year was it decommissioned … ?   A3) 1997.
Q4) 16th April, 1746 was the date of the Battle of Culloden, between Scottish and English forces: name either army’s leader …    A4) Charles Edward Stuart, AKA Bonnie Prince Charlie, for Scotland, and William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, in charge of the English army.
Q5) And finally … 16th April, 1881 saw who fight his last gun battle, in Dodge City … ?   A5) Bat Masterson.

Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll leave you with a tune from The Buzzcocks.   After all, it is Pete Shelley’s birthday … 

I’m just hoping the title won’t tell me what the wait’s going to be like, waiting for a certain delivery …









*        I’m fairly certain that one’s apocryphal, Debbi: but it‘s supposed to be one of the old witchcraft laws that got overlooked, after the Witch burnings were over.   Overlooked … and never taken off the rolls.   (Actually, don’t quote me, but I think a lot of them are literally rolls: Parliament’s been going for a long time, so when they say precedent, they mean it … )

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Wow. Literal rolls. I love it. :)

That's the thing about the U.S. It's such a young country, by comparison to others. Now, in law schools, I'm not sure how much research they do in books as opposed to online. I hope they're still teaching how to look things up in books.

Well, anyhow ... :)

1. the Peak District
2. Afghanistan
3. Mid-Ulster in Northern Ireland
4. 21
5. UFO
6. Vitellius, aka, Aulus Vitellius Germanicus Augustus