Thursday 6 December 2012

The Daily Teaser — 6-12-2012

You know … 

I HAVE to admit, I’m thinking Yoicks, right at the moment.

Along with THAT, I’m actually thinking I need a pair of pyjamas.   Or possibly a Onesy, although I’ll have to think about that.

I’ll tell you why, too.

This morning … is BLOODY COLD … !

And frankly, I’m thinking a dressing gown really isn’t going to cut it, at the moment … !

Let’s move on, shall … ?   I’ve possibly not given you a polite mental image … 

««·»»

Yesterday’s Teaser saws Debbi putting in her answers: along with given me a VERY flattering mention*, here, also bagged 4 out of 5.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 

Q1) 6th December is the feast day Saint Nicholas of Myra, often felt to be the model for Santa Claus.   What type of moneylender is he also the patron of … ?
Q2) Saint Nicholas is also the patron of coopers: what do coopers make … ?
Q3) 6th December, 1921, saw the signing of the treaty that formed the Irish Free State: in which year did that state come into being … ?
Q4) What’s the modern name of the Irish Free State … ?
Q5) 6th December, 1947, saw the Everglades National Park, dedicated in the USA.   How many threatened/protected species is it home to: 34, 36 or 38 … ?
Q6) And finally … 6th December, 1648, during the English Civil War, saw Colonel Pride of the New Model Army, purge Parliament of MPs sympathetic to whom: Charles 1st or Oliver Cromwell?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 5th December, 1945, saw the disappearance of Flight 19, in the Bermuda Triangle.   In which year were claims first made about the Triangle made: 1949, 1950 or 1951 … ?   A1) 1950.
Q2) 5th December, 1977, saw President Anwar al-Sadat break Egyptian ties with four countries: name any one of them … ?   A2) They were Syria, Libya, Algeria and South Yemen.
Q3) More to the point, this was in response to those countries forming an alliance with whom … ?   A3) The PLO.
Q4) Moving on … 5th December, 2005, saw the Civil Partnership come into force in the UK.   In which year was this announced in the Queen’s Speech … ?   A4) 2004.
Q5) And finally … 5th December, 1766, saw which auctioneer maker his first sale: John Sotheby or James Christie … ?   A5) James Christie.
Enjoy those, everyone.

Given yesterday saw the death of jazz pianist, Dave Brubeck, it’s only fitting we mark both that, and his birth, on 6th December, 1920, with this piece … 


And with this quote from him …
“I’m beginning to understand myself. But it would have been great to be able to understand myself when I was 20 rather than when I was 82”   
Dave Brubeck, December 6, 1920 – December 5, 2012













*        Gee, shucks … !   Cheers, Debbi … !   (I’m going to quietly go off and blush … !)

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Awww ... what can I say? It's the truth. I wish I could get together with you and Trevor again, and meet Karen Chilvers. I wish I had a real TARDIS. :) Oh, well.

1. pawnbrokers
2. barrels
3. 1922
4. Ireland
5. 36
6. Oliver Cromwell