Tuesday 13 August 2013

The Left Handed Use Of Mice: Again ....

It's a strange - but potentially true - fact to note that many people who've met me realise I'm left-handed.

Mostly where I make point of mentioning it, if it ever seems relevant.

It's ALSO true to say I've something of a bee in my bonnet about it.

I think it's hard NOT to, to be honest.

The fact is that, here in the UK, it's hard to get things like left-handed scissors, pens, garden strimmers

That’s a pain.

~~~~

At ANY rate … ?


At ANY rate, I'm at Brentwood Library, as I write this.


With the vague thought that my fellow southpaws would possibly appreciate me highlighting something: and at least do something about one aspect of life.

Simply, that the mice used with modern Windozes based PCs aren't set up for left-hand use.

So, over the past few days, I've been doing a little digging, as the Brentwood Library computers now allow you to change the mouse buttons around for left-hand use: at least under the version of Windows 7, they use.


It's a mildly fiddly job.

But from the Start button, at the bottom left hand corner of the screen 


Then to the Ease Of Access section 


THEN to the "Make The Mouse Keys Easier To Use" 


Once In the new window that appears, click on the bit that says "Switch Primary and Secondary Buttons."


And you're done.

I hope that helps!











†        II help my mother out, every-so-often, by mowing her lawn: and have managed to knacker her garden strimmer, every time.   It's not just a case that the handles are the wrong way around, for me.   It's ALSO that the rotating head of the strimmer - the bit of the device that actually strims the grass - goes in the correct direction for a right handed person.   But not for me as a left handed one: a theoretical left-handed strimmer should have a head that rotates in the opposite direction … !

‡        Part of the reason I'm a bit of a fan of the Mac platform, was the simple realisation that the bog standard one-button Apple mouse could be used by me, and other left handers, straight out of the box: WITHOUT any fiddling about to reset the buttons.

No comments: