Sunday 27 July 2014

The Daily Teaser — 27-7-2014

I’m now officially … 

Well … 

Looking forward to a quiet Sunday, actually.

With maybe a little writing.   And catching up with documentaries.

Including The Men Who Made Us Spend: the BBC’s documentary about the last few years worth of consumerism.

I’m watching episode three, so you know.

About how stuff gets sold to children.

It amazes me how much money the market’s worth.

Although, speaking as an uncle who’s got a nephew fixated with Lightnin’ McQueen, and Tow Mater … ?

It really shouldn’t.

~≈Â≈~
But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and scoring four out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) 27th July, 1890, saw which artist shoot himself?
Q2) 27th July, 1940, saw Bugs Bunny make his first appearance in A Wild Hare.   Which film studio produced A Wild Hare: Disney, Warner Brothers, or 20th Century Fox?
Q3) 27 July, 1953, saw China, the US and North Korea, sign the Armistice that ended the Korean War.   Which country didn’t sign?
Q4) 27th July, 1999, saw Tony Hawk become the first person to perform a 900: at that years X Games.   In other words, he went up a ramp, and completed two and a half aerial turns … on what?
Q5) Finally … 27th July, 1929, saw 53 nations sign the Geneva Convention of 1929.   This dealt with what: chemical weapons, prisoners of war or battlefield medics?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 26th July, 1803, saw the opening of the Surrey Iron Railway: arguably, the world’s first railway.   What pulled the trains, on that railway … ?
A1) Horses.
Q2) Which of Richard Wagner’s operas opened on 26th July, 1882: The Flying Dutchman,  Parsifal or Tristan und Isolde … ?
A2) Parsifal.   (Parsifal was the last of Wagner’s operas, and the only one written for his Beyreuth venue.)
Q3) 26th July, 1945, saw the last Royal Navy ship sunk during WW2.   Was it the HMS Loyalty, HMS Squirrel or HMS Vestal … ?
A3) The HMS Vestal.   (All three ships were Algerine class minesweepers.)
Q4) 26th July, 1951, saw the original release of Disney’s Alice In wonderland.   Kathryn Beaumont, who voiced Alice, also voiced which Peter Pan character?
Q5) Finally … 26th July, 1928, saw the birth of director, Stanley Kubrick.   One of his films was finished after his death: by Steven Spielberg.   Which film?
I’ll leave you with this tune … 


And this thought …
“I have wandered all my life, and I have also traveled; the difference between the two being this, that we wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment.”
Hilaire Belloc, 27 July 1870 – 16 July 1953.
Have a good day.










*        That wasn’t too bad, Debbi†.   (You know, I couldn’t tell you if the UK’s got an National Aviary: although I know Portmeirion’s got peacocks floating around … )

†        Oh, did I tell I tell You I stopped off in the Stratford Apple Store, after the interview on Friday … ?   I’d love one of the new Mac Mini’s: really!   (Oh, and laid eyes on the new model of Mac Pro: that surprised me, it’s about the size of a kettle …)


2 comments:

Adence Apong said...

Q1. Bob Marley was being shot! So were the Beatles guy. Definitely not someone from the Japanese region. My bet is the one who is good with poetry.

Q2. Has to be Warner Brothers. I love warner brothers!! Warner Brothers!! I mean it.

Q3. Russia??? Wait. Hold up. I don't have my History book with me.

Q4. Half-Pipe? That's what they called it over here. I'm kidding, I just made it up.

Q5. POW!! POW!! POW!! POW!!

Debbi said...

Thanks, Paul! Yeah, the Mac store is amazing!

1. Vincent van Gogh
2. Warner Brothers
3. South Korea (maybe)
4. a skateboard
5. prisoners of war