Friday 29 August 2014

The Daily Teaser — 29-8-2014

Hmmm … 

That’s awkward: the plumber didn’t turn up … !

I have to confess, I had a plumber booked up for yesterday: to fix a leaky u-bend.

Not a big repair.   Well … not one that needed fixing in a hurry, or that couldn’t be dealt with by putting a bucket under the leak.

Still, it was booked.   I was in, ready and waiting … 

And they never came.

It seems they had a couple of emergency call outs to deal with, first … !

Well, I say never turned up.

I WILL give my landlord’s credit: for sending me a text message to let me know when the plumber WAS on the way.

Five minutes before I was due to head for the Job Centre, to do my daily job search.   Which, unless I want to lose my benefit, is something I can’t miss.

Yeah … awkward … 

Awkward … 

But at least I’ve managed to rebook the visit.

~≈Â≈~
But let’s get a move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and bagging nine out of ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How Tovideo and license

Q1) 29th August, 1885, saw the patenting of the first internal combustion powered what?
Q2) The vehicle concerned was called the reitwagen.   In English, it’s a what wagon: riding, driving or powered?
Q3) 29th August, 1949, saw the Soviet Union test its first atomic bomb: in what’s now which independent republic?
Q4) 29th August, 1991, saw Libero Grassi murdered, after publicly refusing to pay protection money: to the local whom … ?
Q5) 29th August, 1982, saw artificial element, Meitnerium, synthesized for the first time.   What’s the half life of the stablest form of Meitnerium: 7.6 seconds, 8.6 seconds or 9.6 seconds?
Q6) Finally … 29th August, 1946, saw the decommissioning of the USS Nevada.   Was the Nevada an aircraft carrier, a dreadnought or a destroyer?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 28th August, 1963, saw Dr Martin Luther King make one of his most famous speeches: in which he said he had a … what … ?
A1) Dream.
Q2) Dr King gave the speech on the steps of which memorial?
Q3) In which US city is that Memorial?
Q4) Dr King famously opened the speech with a reference to which US president … ?
Q5) In the speech, Dr King said that “Every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain be made” … what … ?
A5) Low.
Q6) Martin Luther King was — obviously — a doctor.   Of what … ?
A6) Theology: Systematic Theology, from Boston University, to be precise.
Q7) Which Indian leader was an inspiration for Dr King … ?
Q8) The American Civil Rights Movement, in which Dr King was prominent, got kickstarted when who famously refused to sit at the back of a bus … ?
A8) Mrs Rosa Parks.
Q9) The day before his assassination, Dr King delivered his equally famed ‘I Have Been To The Mountaintop’ sermon, the last speech of any kind he made.   In which US city did he make deliver it?
Q10) Finally … Dr King closed the speech with the line ‘Thank God Almighty, we are’ … what … ?
I’ll leave you with this song … 


And this thought …
“Things have changed a bit, but rarely at the BBC do I meet anyone of colour in a position of power.”

Lenny Henry, 29th August, 1958.
Have a good day.








*        Looks like I got unlucky with that plumber, Debbi.   It’s not an urgent repair, but it would’ve been nice to have had it done.   Still: another visit’s booked up, which is the main thing.

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Good luck with that! That kinda sucks.

1. engine
2. riding
3. Kazakhstan
4. the Mafia
5. 7.6 seconds
6. a dreadnought