Saturday 3 January 2015

The Daily Teaser — 3-1-2015

You know, I’ve just looked out of my window, this morning.

It’s raining.

Heavily.

It’s still dark of a morning, at this time of year.   Which gives the view from my window a sheen that makes it quite pleasant to see.

Until I look in my freezer, of course.

I’m reminded of a few things.
  • There’s not much food in the freezer.
  • I need to buy some.
  • I’m off, today and working tomorrow: and don’t know when I’ll next be free to go shopping.
Looks like I’ll be getting damp, going shopping.

I can only hope I can find my hat … !

~≈Ê≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?   While it’s dry … 

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and scoring ten out of ten.

Let’s see how she, you, and everyone else, does with todays questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video

Q1) 3rd January, 1888, saw the first use of what was then the world’s largest refracting telescope: at the US based Lick Observatory.   The Observatory is in which US state?
Q2) 3rd January, 1996, saw the release of the StarTAC: the first mobile flip phone to be widely adopted.   Which company made the phone: Apple, Nokia or Motorola?
Q3) 3rd January, 2009, saw the initial activity by what: Twitter, Bitcoin or LinkedIn?
Q4) 3rd January, 1749, saw the first publication of Berlingske: the oldest newspaper in which European country?
Q5) Finally … 3rd January, 1926, saw the birth of producer, composer, oboe player and audio engineer, George Martin.   Which Liverpudlian band did he find fame producing?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 
Q1) 2nd January, 1981, saw the arrest of serial killer, Peter Sutcliffe.   Sutcliffe was better — or notoriously — known as what?
A1) The Yorkshire Ripper.
Q2) How many woman was he convicted of killing?
A2) 13.
Q3) His first murder was committed in which year of the 1970s?
A3) 1975.   (In October: Wilma McCann’s daughter later committed suicide as a result.)
Q4) At his trial, Sutcliffe plead guilty to how many counts of attempted murder: five, six or seven?
A4) Seven.
Q5) He also claimed to have which mental illness?
Q6) Which police force were criticized for their handling of the case?
Q7) One mistake Sutcliffe made was never properly followed up by investigators.   He left a new, easily traceable, what, with the body of one of his victims?
A7) £5 note.
Q8) The Byford Report into Sutcliffe’s killings was finally released in which year: 2005, 2006 or 2007?
A8) 2006.
Q9) What nickname was given to the hoaxer who famously sent in a tape, claiming to have committed Sutcliffe’s murders?
Q10) Finally … Peter Sutcliffe is held in which hospital?
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“The significance of a myth is not easily to be pinned on paper by analytical reasoning.”

J. R. R. Tolkien, 3 January 1892 – 2 September 1973.
And this tune … 


Have a good day.











*        Daft thought, Debbi, have you looked at the Wikipedia entries on Dr Who … ?   The episode guide is very good.

1 comment:

Debbi said...

I should, but I did love that book. Oh, well ...

1. California
2. Motorola
3. Bitcoin
4. Denmark
5. the Beatles (of course! :))