Tuesday 21 July 2015

The Daily Teaser — 21-7-2015

Hmmm … 

That’s … mildly frustrating … 

Did I tell you I’m working at the moment … ?

I’m working at the moment: and generally enjoying things.

But getting slightly itchy feet: thinking I could be doing a little better for myself.

So I tend to keep my eyes on shop front windows: so I can see where’s hiring.

I do know my local Starbucks is looking, to give you an example: having seen just such a ‘We Are Hiring’ poster in their window.

Having checked their website?

I found they wanted one thing, to check that I was genuinely able to work for them.

They wanted my passport.   Something I lost, a few years ago.

And replacing it is going to cost a few bob.

Now, as far as I can gather … ?   As far as I can gather, I’m going to need my birth certificate to renew my passport.

Which will be more money.

And frankly … ?

A little bit of digging, to find out where I can start.

You know … I might just have to get in touch with my local Citizen’s Advice Bureau.   Just so I can navigate my way through this lot … 

~≈Ê≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and scoring six out of six.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 21st July, 1861, was the date of the First Battle of Bull Run: during the US Civil War.   Which side won: Confederacy or Union?
Q2) 21st July, 1959, saw the launch of the NS Savannah.   The ship was the first merchant ship powered how: by diesel fuel, nuclear reactor or steam engine?
Q3) 21st July, 1951, saw the birth of Robin Williams.   In which 1980 film did he make his movie debut?
Q4) 21st July, 365 AD, saw a tsunami hit which Egyptian city?
Q5) Finally, Davis Tutt was shot and killed: on 21st July, 1865.   By whom?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 
Q1) 20th July, 1822, saw the birth of Augustinian monk, Gregor Mendel: considered one of the founding fathers of which science?
A1) Genetics.
Q2) His famous series of experiments were carried out on which plants?
A2) Peas.
Q3) 20th July, 1940, saw Denmark leave which international organization?
Q4) Adolf Hitler survived an assassination attempt led by Claus von Stauffenberg.   Who played von Stauffenberg, in the 2008 film, Valkyrie?
Q5) 20th July, 1189, saw Richard 1st of England invested as Duke of where?
A5) Normandy.
Q6) Finally … 20th July, 2012, saw a mass shooting take place: at a cinema in Aurora, Colorado.   What film was showing?
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.”

Ernest Hemingway, July 21, 1899 – July 2, 1961.
And this song … 


Have a good day … !













*        Oh, my pleasure, Debbi: I just hope I helped … !   (Oh, how are you doing with Humans, by the way … ?   It’s rather good.)

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1: Confederacy
Q2: Nuclear power
Q3: Popeye
Q4: Alexandria
Q5: Wild Bill Hickok
I knew one, guessed another and had to check one of them, and then I thought I might as well carry on... I hope you can sort the paperwork issue. In Spain we must have an ID card and you need it for all kind of official paperwork so there's no escape from it.

Debbi said...

It's great! I really love it. Thanks for recommending it.

1. the Confederacy
2. nuclear reactor
3. Popeye (actually, his first film was a low-budge comedy from 1977 called "Can I Do it 'Til I Need Glasses?)
4. Alexandria
5. Wild Bill Hickok