Monday 7 September 2015

The Daily Teaser — 7-9-2015

Ye … GODS … !

I THINK I need more sleep.

No, really … !

I’m feeling just a touch tired.

After all, yesterday saw me up early, to go to a staff meeting — nope, I didn’t even place in this period’s up-selling competition, but there you go — AND THEN … getting a comparative late night.

Watching the next three episodes of series one of House of Cards.

All that’s left me knackered.

Mind you … ?   That scene with Robin Wright as Claire Underwood … ?

Phew … !


All of THAT … ?   All of THAT, and I’m mildly worried for my nephew, Jude.   Today … ?   Is his first day at school … !

~≈Â≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and scoring five out of six.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video … 

Q1) Saturday, 7th September, 1907, saw the RMS Lusitania launched: on its maiden voyage.   From which English port city?
Q2) The first black person to be named as Archbishop of Cape Town was named as such: on 7th September, 1986.   Who was he?
Q3) 7th September, 1940, saw London hit, by a German air-raid.   These raids on the UK were called the … what?
Q4) 7th September, 1895, saw the first games of what, played: Rugby League, Rugby Union or American Football?
Q5) More to the point, were those games considered amateur or professional?
Q6) Finally … Brazil declared its independence: on 7th September, 1822.   From which European country?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 6th September, 1522, saw the Victoria return to its home port: after becoming the first ship to circumnavigate the world.   It’s home port was Sanlúcar de Barrameda.   Sanlúcar de Barrameda is in which European country?
A1) Spain.
Q2) More to the point, the Victoria had been part of an expedition commanded by which explorer?
Q3) 6th September, 1952, saw an air-crash: at the Farnborough Air Show.   The crash, and the show, was in which English county?
A3) Hampshire.
Q4) 6th September is the earliest date of the traditional Abbots Bromley Horn Dance.   What’s the latest date the dance can take place on?
A4) The 12th September.
Q5) On 6th September, 1888, Charles Turner became the first cricketer to how many wickets in an English season: 150, 200 or 250?
A5) 250.   (Only four other players have done so.)
Q6) Finally … 6th September is Independence Day: in which African country?
A6) Swaziland.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“I’ve often thought that my scruples about stealing books were the only thing that stood in the way of my being a really great scholar.”
Malcolm Bradbury, 7 September 1932 – 27 November 2000.
And something a little different, tune-wise … 


Enjoy you day … 









*        Got to admit, I’m looking forward to the 19th, Debbi†!   (I’m just hoping one thing I’ve ordered from Amazon turns up: I can set up this set-top box, and record/watch Dr Who in HD!   It’s a switch, and will let me connect more than one HDMI device to my TV.   It, and the Apple TV, in other words!)

†        Actually, did I tell you I’m watching House Of Cards in the run-up to the 19th?   Let me know what you think of that clip, Debbi … !

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Will do!

1. Liverpool
2. Desmond Tutu
3. the Blitz
4. Rugby League
5. professional
6. Portugal