Wednesday 17 August 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 17-8-2016

Well … 

THAT seemed to go well enough … !

Remember I had an interview, yesterday: with a local bookmakers?

I THINK I did ok with it.

Although, embarrassingly … ?   I managed to forget the all important paperwork I need: to show I’m eligible to work in the UK.

Which meant I had to double back and get it.   Thankfully, the chap doing the interview?   Was able to re-arrange the thing: for yesterday afternoon.

That out of the way?

Well, like I say, I felt I did well: although, when it came to the inevitable “Have you got any questions,” sections … ?   I got all the ones I’d pre-prepared dealt with, but, on the way home?   The thought struck me that I could also have asked how the place deals with drunk people trying to place bets: something that’s been bothering me ever since.

Ha!

There’s always something, isn’t there … ?

~≈Æ≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Angel*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring six out of six.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Nazi war criminal, Rudolf Hess, was found dead in his prison cell: on 17th August, 1987.   Which prison was he being held in?
Q2) 17th August, 1893, saw the birth of actress, Mae West.   In which George Raft movie did she make her film debut?
Q3) Cricketer, Roy Tattersall, was born on 17th August, 1922.   Which county side did he play for?
Q4) 17th August, 1887, saw the birth of activist, Marcus Garvey: held by many Rastafarians as a prophet.   What was the name of the shipping line he helped found?
Q5) Finally … Which member of the Royal Family passed his A-levels: on 18th August, 2000?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 16th August, 1977, saw the death of Elvis Presley: at his mansion in Memphis, Tennessee.   What was that home called?
A1) Graceland.
Q2) The village of Lynmouth was hit by floods: on 16th August, 1952.   The village is in which English county?
A2) Devon.
Q3) More to the point: name any of the county’s neighbouring counties.
A3) Cornwall, Somerset or Dorset.
Q4) The UK formally named the Ross Dependency, as the Ross Dependency: on 16th August, 1923.   The UK handed it to New Zealand at the same time.   Where IS the Ross Dependency?
Q5) Newsreader, Sir Trevor McDonald was born: on 16th August, 1939.   He read the news for ITV’s News programme: which was produced by which company?
A5) ITN.
Q6) Finally … The village of Boscastle was hit by floods: on 16th August, 2004.   Boscastle is in which English county?
A6) Cornwall.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“It is the relentless onward march of the texters, the SMS vandals who are doing to our language what Genghis Khan did to his neighbours 800 years ago. They are destroying it: pillaging our punctuation; savaging our sentences; raping our vocabulary. And they must be stopped.”
John Humphrys, born 17 August 1943.
And this tune … 


Have a good day.







*        Well, I THINK it went well enough, Angel: bar me forgetting the paperwork!   THAT was embarrassing!

†        Well, I got there well enough, Olga!   Twice!   It’s a shame I forgot the paperwork: waste of a forty minute trip to Hornchurch … !   (Oh, sorry, I meant to say, ‘Olga, are you having an issue with the website?’, yesterday?   I got a domain for sale sign, when I looked!   That’s what happens when you get up at six in the morning … )

‡        Sorry, Debbi, I meant to say “Olga, are you having trouble with the site?”, yesterday!   That’s what happens when you’re in a rush!   “As right as rain,” … ?   Now, there’s a phrase I’ve not heard for a while!   (Oh, the link’s vanished, Debbi!   Looks like I’m not the only one rushing!)

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Um ... okay! Hope you can access it. Good luck with the job! :)

1. Spandau Prison
2. Night After Night
3. Lancashire
4. Black Star Line
5. Prince William