Monday 2 January 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 2-1-2017

*Yawns* … 

You know, I think I need to go back to bed!

AFTER writing this post … 

And after mentioning Amazon.

I managed to order a few DVDs, and some new shoes, from the site: with some cash I’d been given for Christmas.

Work stuff and entertainment, basically.

Stuff the site told me was due to be delivered, last Thursday.

I wasn’t too worried: as, if I was out, it would be left with neighbours: neighbours who’ve been happy to do so for some eighteen months, and whose address Amazon have had for about the same sort of time.

It took them three days to do so.

Three days, a whining email to Jeff Bezos, and a lot of time on the phone.   Explaining that, not, I hadn’t updated my details, that the neighbours concerned were still happy to take packages in, and at the same address.

And, talking of which … ?   Why on Earth should I have to put that address on Amazon’s systems: when they should’ve been there in the first place?

It took a lot of talking with a Customer Services wonk to get that updated: and I finally got the goods, yesterday.

That … and a tenner’s worth of free credit in my Amazon account.

I can’t complain too much.

A tenner’s a tenner, after all.

But for Amazon to have lost some details?

Sounds a bit … 

Odd.

~≈Ç≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Ronald Reagan was sworn into office: on 2nd January, 1967.   As what: Mayor of Carmel, Governor of California or President of the USA?
Q2) 2nd January is Ancestry Day.   In which small Caribbean nation?
Q3) 2nd January, 1911, saw the date of the Siege of Sidney Street: a gun battle between police and Latvian revolutionaries.   The then Home Secretary was criticized for his involvement at the scene.   Who was that Home Secretary?
Q4) 2nd January is a Bank Holiday in Scotland.   Is it a Bank Holiday in England?
Q5) 2nd January is National Science Fiction Day, in the US.   It coincides with which writer’s birthday?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 1st January is New Year’s Day, in the Gregorian Calendar used in many countries.   The Calendar named after whom: a Pope, a Archbishop of Canterbury or a Dalai Lama?
A1) A Pope.   (Gregory 13th, to be exact.)
Q2) 1st January, 153 BC, saw Roman citizens named to which office: Emperor, Consul or Prefect?
A2) Consuls.
Q3) What did the UK join: on 1st January, 1973?
A3) The European Economic Community: also called the EEC.
Q4) 1st January, 1808, saw the USA ban the importation of what: gunpowder, slaves or oil?
A4) Slaves.
Q5) Finally … 1st January, 1906, saw British India adopt Indian Standard Time.   How far ahead of GMT is Indian Standard time: four and a half hours, five and a half hours or six and a half hours?
A5) Five and a half hours.   (India was ruled by the UK, at the time.   The difference allowed people in the UK or India to turn their analogue watches upside down: to see what time time it was in the other country.)
I’ll leave you with this …
“I didn’t try and do fashion pictures. I tried to do portraits of girls wearing dresses.”
David Bailey, born 2nd January 1938.
And this … 


Have a good day.






*        It sounds  a Great idea, Olga: blowed if I’ve got time, though!   (I do know my GP’s a devout Muslim: and worries about her son being a south paw.   I think mentioning Umar — a lefty, and very early caliph — gave her another thing to look at.)

†        There’s possibly a book in that, Debbi!   Over to you, I think, your writing’s better!

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Governor of California
Q2) Haiti
Q3) Winston Churchill
Q4) No
Q5) Isaac Asimov
I guess it'll have to go on the list of future projects...

Debbi said...

Everything can improved with practice! :) I'll bet you could tell a story or two!

1. Governor of California
2. Haiti
3. Winston Churchill
4. yes
5. Isaac Asimov

Did I ever tell you that my friend Bill met Asimov? They were both MENSA members.