Saturday 11 March 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 11-3-2017: The ’Flu

*Bleugh* … 

Right now, that’s about the best thing I can say.

As, after all, I’ve got myself up at six: in order to get into work at eleven.

And finish at ten o’clock, tonight!

Oy … veh … 

~≈Ê≈~

That sort of sleepiness?   Is possibly something that contributed to a minor event, yesterday.

I managed to treat myself to a couple of cheap films^: Blu-ray copies of Hellraiser and Trainspotting.

Got home … 

And then, with all due thoughtlessness … ?

Put Hellraiser in the fridge.

One of these day’s I’ll put my brain into gear!

~≈Ê≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Trevor scoring five out of five, and Debbi scoring four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s themed questions, shall we?

Here there are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) The first confirmed case of Spanish ’Flu took place, on 11th March.   Of which year of the First World War?
Q2) The patient was Private Albert Gitchell.   A what: bombardier, mess cook or driver?
Q3) The patient was a private in the US Army: based in Fort Riley.   The Fort was in which US State?
Q4) It’s called Spanish ’Flu: as the spread of the disease to Spain was very well reported.   What was it called … in Spain?
Q5) Spanish ’Flu is said to have killed more people than what: the Black Death, Bubonic Plague, or vCJD?
Q6) Technically?   Spanish ’Flu is ALSO known as what: H₁N₁, H₂SO₄ or H₂O?
Q7) Ethiopian prince, Tafari Markonnen, survived the disease.   How is he better known?
Q8) An H₅N₁ variant of ’flu is more notoriously known as what: swine ’flu, canine ’flu or bird ’flu?
Q9) According to some reports, some of the damage from Spanish ’Flu were caused by poisoning from what: tap water, aspirin or gout?
Q10) Finally … what was this version of the ’flu: pandemic, pancreatic or panfried?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 10th March, 1915, saw the start of the Battle of Neuve Chapelle: during World War 1.   The Battle was the first planned action by which country’s army: the UK’s, Spain’s or the USA’s?
A1) The UK’s.
Q2) 10th March, 1997, saw the debut of Buffy: The Vampire Slayer.   Who played Buffy … in the movie of the same name … ?
Q3) Farzad Bazoft was sentenced to death for spying, on 10th March, 1990: by a court in Baghdad.   He was actually a reporter for which British newspaper?
Q4) Prosper Avril was ousted as President of Haiti.   After a what: election, coup or sexual scandal?
A4) Coup.
Q5) Finally … Ferdinand 2nd of Aragon was born: on 10th March, 1452.   Which part of Spain did he become king of: in 1512?
A5) Navarre.
Here’s a thought …
“The worst pandemic in modern history was the Spanish flu of 1918, which killed tens of millions of people. Today, with how interconnected the world is, it would spread faster.”
Bill Gates.
And a video … 


Enjoy your day: and get vaccinated … !




*        Cheers, Olga!   Hopefully something with better money will show up: although the current one’s not bad.   Ferdinand got a mention in The Prince?   I’m impressed!   (I preferred the TV version as well: the effects were better, for a start.   And The Body, the episode where Buffy has to deal with the immediate aftermath of her mother’s death?   Is not only the best episode of the show, but also the best bit of TV in existence.)

†        Morning, Trevor … !   (OK, I think I’m going to have to re-write that Haiti question, next time I see it … )

‡        I’ve never actually seen Mad Men, to be honest, Debbi: although I know my mum’s a fan.   (Didn’t Burn Gorman crop up in it, in a couple of episodes?   No, he didn’t, I’ve just looked at his IMDb page … Hmmm … wonder where I got that idea … ?)

^        I can offset the cost of the films, by selling them to my local branch of CeX.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1918
Q2) Mess cook
Q3) Kansas
Q4) The Naples Soldier Well, Soldado de Nápoles (and here the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuueuVkJIOE) Of course it wasn’t Spanish at all, but hey, if it was to be the most deadly, we’ll take that fame… Perhaps Angela Merkel should take notice
Q5) The Black Death
Q6) H₁N₁
Q7) Haile Selassie
Q8) Bird flu
Q9) Aspirin
Q10) Pandemic
Your comment made me think I should get the whole of the series. I've thought about it quite a few times. I wonder if my mother would like it...

Debbi said...

Only four. Let's see if I can do better. :)

1. 1918
2. a mess cook
3. Kansas
4. La Gripe Española
5. the Black Death
6. H1N1
7. Haile Selassie
8. bird flu
9. aspirin
10. pandemic