Sunday 8 October 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 8th October, 2017

Bugger!

That was an expensive trip home from work, last night.

No, really.

I was stupid enough to leave my phone at work … !

And had to get a cab.

From Chelmsford Station to work — to pick the phone up — and then from work to the stain, to get a late train home.

Very late, I feel very tired, this morning.

The reason it’s important?

Well, it’s phone, for a start.

But, yesterday?   Just when I was starting work?

I got a phone call.

From a withheld number.


Lord knows who that was.

But, given I had an interview that I’ve still not heard back from?

Well, I hope they phone back with good news!

~≈Ÿ≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Olga scoring five out of five, and Debbi on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 8th October, 1967, saw who captured in Bolivia?
Q2) The Franklin National Bank collapsed: on 8th October, 1974.   The collapse was the (then) largest bank collapse in which country: China, the USA or Brazil?
Q3) 8th October, 1982, saw the Broadway debut of Cats.   The musical’s based on a book by which American poet?
Q4) LBC, one of Britain’s first commercial radio stations, started broadcasting on 8th October, 1973.   What does the ‘L’ stand for?
Q5) Finally … two countries voted to leave Yugoslavia: on 8th October, 1991.   Name either one.
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 7th October, 1959, saw a Soviet probe transmit the first photographs  of the far side of what: the Moon, the Sun or Mars?
A1) The Moon.
Q2) Fox News was founded on the 7th October.   Of which year?
A2) 1996.
Q3) 7th October, 2001, saw the US launch air attacks on al-Qaeda and Taliban forces, where: Afghanistan, Pakistan or Kurdistan?
Q4) Germany and the Austro-Hungarian Empire formed the Dual Alliance: on 7th October, 1879.   The two nations promised to help the other, in case they were attacked.   By whom: Italy, France or Russia?
A4) Russia.   (What happened if either were attacked by Luxembourg, I don’t know.)
Q5) Finally … 7th October, 2008, saw an asteroid hit Earth’s atmosphere.   Over which African country?
A5) Sudan.
Here’s a thought …
“The thing we must do intensely is be human together. People are more important than things.”
Frank Herbert, October 8, 1920 – February 11, 1986.
A song … 


And the earworm that’s been bothering me all morning.


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Oh, handsome young men, Olga?   There’s always that one family member, isn’t there?   :D   She might have a problem with The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: Benedict Cumberbatch is in it, but only does the voice for Smaug.‡   (Might be worth asking CeX about the DVD player, as well: some will take them, some won’t.   Same with the Region 1 DVDs.   I’d still have a go at ripping them, first, though)

†        It’s WELL worth it, Debbi: it sounds strange, but Gal Gadot has a way of moving her head that really shows her hair off.   Odd, but true!   Hope the conference goes well!   (And, boy, I’m nervous about making that job phone call.)

‡        Frankly?   As soon as I’d heard he’d be cast, I thought it was the perfect choice: if anyone can voice forty foot of fire breathing, flying reptile, it’s Benedict Cumberbatch.   (Apart from Ian Richardson: I still wondered how he’d’ve done in Merlin, as he’d done a fantastic job as Death in Hogfather.)

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Che Guevara
Q2) USA
Q3) T. S. Eliot
Q4) London
Q5) Croatia and Slovenia
Thanks, Paul. I hope you get good news.
I was checking Gum Tree and they don’t accept ads for unlocked devices. If I decide to take some furniture with me (I definitely want to take at least some of the paintings I have in the house, so I’ll be sending some stuff, but I might send some of the furniture if it works out OK. I know my relatives who lived in London sent a lot of their stuff to Galicia, in the North West of Spain. I haven’t checked yet as I need to see how much I’m going to send, but I’ll probably ask for some quotations and see. Some friends of my mother have offered us some storage space in Barcelona so it will depend on costs) I will send it over as it’s not very big. I was checking one of those sites that buy books and DVDs, etc, and I checked a documentary I had that CeX quoted me £4 (that is quite good as most of my stuff seems to be worth pennies, so not sure I’ll bother), and that place quoted me almost £23. That made me curious and I checked in Amazon (that is where I bought it some years back. I don’t think it was cheap but I never buy DVDs or blu-rays that are very expensive, so…)
https://www.amazon.com/Visions-Light-Cinematography-Conrad-Hall/dp/630583685X/
Now I’m wondering if I should keep it as it might be worth even more in a while. I’ll check everything individually, but I think that one might be the most expensive one (and it is region 1). We shall see.
Don’t forget your phone.

Debbi said...

The conference was great! Despite taking a small tumble--ahem!--make that a stumble in front of one of the campus libraries.

Will I ever get my footing? :)

Hope you get that job!

1. Che Guevara
2. the USA
3. T.S. Eliot
4. London
5. Croatia