Saturday 20 January 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 20-1-2018: On Islands.

*Yawn*

Again with the yawning!

Again … because I’m up early for work.

In one sense?

In one sense, it’s knackering, it really is.

And I’m not getting any younger!

The upside … ?

Is that it means I get the night off.

OK, granted, I’m not going to do anything more that get an early night … 

But hitting the sack does have some appeal, right now … !

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 20th January, 1841, saw UK forces occupy where: Hong Kong Island, Singapore or Macau?
Q2) The Island has an area named after which Scottish city?
Q3) One part of the island is known for its racecourse.   Which part?
Q4) The underground railway system on the Island is run by the MTR.   What’s the name of the line that’s exclusive to the island?
Q5) Finally … the Island has road and rail connections to what: the Okinawa, the Kowloon Peninsular or Bahrain?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 19th January is Timkat.   Timkat is the version of Epiphany celebrated by whom: the Coptic Church, the Ethiopian Orthodox Church or the Lutheran Church?
Q2) During Timkat, that Church will parade its Tabot.   The Tabot is that Church’s ceremonial reproduction of what: the Papal Tiara, the True Cross or the Ark of the Covenant?
Q3) 19th January, 2017, saw the death of actor, Miguel Ferrer.   Ferrer’s best known TV role, as Agent Albert Rosenfield, was in which TV series?
A3) Twin Peaks.
Q4) 19th January, 1963, saw the birth of MP, John Bercow.   Which Parliamentary position does he hold?
A4) Speaker of the House of Commons.
Q5) Finally … Apple have recently announced they are to make the programming code for one of their early computers freely available.   Which computer: the Apple 2, Macintosh 128k or Apple Lisa?
A5) The Apple Lisa: originally released on 19th January, 1983.
Here’s a clue …
“The most important thing to keep in mind is the incredible diversity of talent that’s out there - there are so many great actors from all over Asia, from Singapore and Hong Kong to the Philippines and Mainland China, not to mention many great Asian-American actors who are eager for fun and challenging roles.”
Kevin Kwan.
Here’s the song behind the title^.


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day!





*        Actually, that split screen thing looks like a good move, Olga‡: assuming you’ve a big enough screen!   Me, I think I’d still want a extra monitor.   I tend to have two apps open on one screen, with a third on another.   The spreadsheets I store all the questions on takes up a lot of screen space.   You know, I’m not sure you have mentioned Halt and Catch Fire: it looks interesting, but I’m going to have to park it, until later.


†        I wouldn’t mind one, myself, Debbi‡.   I’d be able to AirPlay stuff over to the Apple TV: which comes in handy.   The only TV channel over here that doesn’t have an AppleTV app, does do one for the iPad!   Which is a shame, as it’s the channel that’s show Phillip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams.


‡        The handy thing about an extra monitor?   Is it give you somewhere to put a webcam.   Yep: that’s MY ugly kitchen in the background of today’s video …

^        From A to B, the album that song’s from, was one of the first I ever bought, WAY back in the day.   The biggest hit … ?   Was inspired by The Prisoner.   They don’t want your name …

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Hong Kong
Q2) Aberdeen
Q3) Happy Valley
Q4) The Island Line
Q5) the Kowloon Peninsula
My laptop has a webcam already (not that I like to use it very much but...). I was reading about Philip K. Dick's Electronic Dreams yesterday. I hope to catch up when I'm back...

Debbi said...

I've been doing videos on my iPhone. The resolution's much better.

1. Hong Kong Island
2. Aberdeen Harbour
3. Happy Valley
4. Disneyland Resort Line
5. the Kowloon Peninsula