Thursday 4 January 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 4-1-2017: World Braille Day

Hmmm … 

I actually looked in on CeX, yesterday: to buy a cable.

The reason I mention this?

Is my hard drive.

Over Christmas, I managed to buy myself a new, larger capacity, internal hard drive: to use as storage for an ever increasing library of TV series.

Four whole terabytes, so you know.

The result?   I’ve a two terabyte one to sell.   One I’ve owned since new, is verifiably in good condition, and shows up on several machines.

I’m actually tempted to go back, today.

And ask them to retest the thing.

The last time I did … ?

Their caddy — hard drive enclosure, in other words — wasn’t working.

The REASON I point that out?

Is that I’m seriously thinking go heading up there, again, today.

And, to counter that problem?   Taking my own caddy in, and asking them if they’d like to borrow mine.

Whether they’d be allowed to, whether they’d go for it?

I don’t know.

I’m happy to try it, I’m that twitted off with them.

Frankly, it’s that … 

Or head for the Romford branch!

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) 4th January is World Braille Day.   Braille is a writing system aimed sat whom: the deaf, blind or mute?
Q2) Braille is composed of cells.   These cells are in rectangular groups of raised what?
Q3) Those items are in groups of six.   How are those groups arranged: 3 columns with 2 rows, or 2 columns with 3 rows?
Q4) Braille’s inventor was French.   What’s the name of the competing American system?
Q5) Finally?   The Perkins Brailler is a what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) The Genesis Block was established: on 3rd January, 2009.   The block was/is one element in the creation of which digital currency?
A1) Bitcoin.
Q2) More to the point, which apparently Japanese person established that block?
A2) Satoshi Nakamoto.
Q3) The currency’s logo is a stylised version of which letter?
A3) B.
Q4) This kind of digital currency is called a what?
A4) Cryptocurrency.
Q5) Finally … That block was the first in a type of distributed ledger: called a what?
A5) Blockchain.
Here’s a thought …
“Access to communication in the widest sense is access to knowledge”
Louise Braille, 4 January 1809 – 6 January 1852.
And a video … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Cheers, Olga‡.   Large hard drives and cloud storage are like book shelves.   There’s NEVER enough space on the blessed things!   As for CeX … well, I don’t know if I’d call them professional: for starters, I used to work at the Brentwood branch!

†        I have to admit, Debbi‡, I’m just as confused by the blessed things!   I get the impression the way to have made money of the things is to get one of those bit coin mining computers, and selling the bit coins it generates.   Trouble is, these days … you don’t make enough money to pay for the electricity!

‡        If you selling a hard drive to CeX, I’d wipe the thing, yourself: especially if it’s a main or back-up drive with all your bank and personal details.   CeX do the job quickly, rather than securely.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The blind
Q2) Dots
Q3) 2 columns with three rows
Q4) I found New York Point and American Braille, but American Braille seems to be an adapted version…
Q5) A Braille typewriter
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't planning on selling anything data-related there anyway.

Debbi said...

Also, it's usually best to buy cheap, sell dear. So I'd say the ship has sailed on investing in bitcoin! :)

1. blind
2. dots
3. 2 columns with 3 rows
4. I'm not sure which answer you're going for, so here's both: New York Point and American Braille (invented by Helen Keller)
5. a braille typewriter