Saturday 17 March 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 17-3-2018: Saint Patrick’s Day

17th March, 2018.


Yep, it’s official: we officially not being snowed on.


Yet.

Frankly?

I’m surprised about the cold snap: and slightly cynical.

And hoping this doesn’t affect my trip to work.

~≈§≈~

In other news?

In other news, my Amazon package finally turned up.

What’s more?

It finally turned up … when I was to receive it … !

I think I’ve had a refund, as well.   Frankly?   I’m pleasantly surprised.

Now all I have to do, is set the thing up.

~≈§≈~

And finally, in still MORE news …

This chap’s what they call a biohacker: someone who likes the idea of implanting bits of tech into his body.

In his case?   Implanting a chip from an Opal card — the Australian equivalent to London’s Oyster card — into his arm, so he can get around, without forgetting it.

Nice idea, I think.

Except he’s been sued by the relevant transport authorities for not carrying a ticket: despite the fact the thing in his wrist is still accessible to card readers.

Granted, it’s not going to be something everyone’s going to want to do … but still strikes me as a good idea.

Once the ticket inspectors get their heads around it …

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) 17th March is Saint Patrick’s Day.   The day is the traditional day of the saint’s what: birth or death?
Q2) He’s traditionally seen as protection against what: frogs, toads or snakes?
Q3) He’s the patron saint of Ireland: and the capital of Massachusetts.   What IS that capital?
Q4) There’s a lorica named after the saint: called Saint Patrick’s Breastplate.   A lorica is a prayer of what: adoration, protection or listening?
Q5) Finally … The saint has a shade of colour named for him: which colour?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) 16th March, 1984, saw William Buckley kidnapped by fundamentalists.   He was the CIA station chief: in the US embassy in which country?
A1) Lebanon.
Q2) Britain’s (then) Prime Minister resigned: on 16th March, 1976.   Which Prime Minister?
A2) Harold Wilson.
Q3) Adolf Hitler violated the Versailles Treaty on 16th March, 1935: by reviving Germany’s armed forces.   Those collective forces were known as which ‘W’?
A3) The Wermacht.
Q4) In a controversial referendum on 16th March, 2014, the Crimea voted to join where: the EU, Russia, or the United Arab Emirates?
A4) Russia.
Q5) Finally … the (then) largest oil spill took place on 16th March, 1978.   When which supertanker split in two?
A5) The Amoco Cadiz.
Here’s a thought from the man, himself …
“I confess to my Lord and do not blush in his sight, because I am not lying; from the time when I came to know him in my youth, the love of God and fear of him increased in me, and right up until now, by God’s favour, I have kept the faith.”
Saint Patrick.
And two tunes.   This year saw the death of Cranberries singer, Dolly O’Riordan, so … 


Ans something more traditional …


Today’s Teaser will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Oh, bless ’em!   Pass the neighbours my congratulations, Olga!   Nice to have a good bit of news float pst, even if it’s at one remove.   (Yep, the package, finally turned up: I think I’ve bagged a refund as well.)

†        Yeah: I think Amazon’s got a cunning plan, Debbi.   (Apparently, Pinky’s supposed to be a cockney.   Dick van Dyke does it better!)

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) His death
Q2) Snakes
Q3) Boston
Q4) Protection
Q5) Blue (I would have thought it would have been green…)

Thanks, Paul. I'm pleased to hear that you got the package and a refund. I hope you were right about the weather there. Here is it snowing heavily (it started a bit later than they had thought, it was around 11 pm and then stopped, but this morning it has been snowing on and off, at times quite heavily and it's all covered in snow. Thankfully I have a lot of books to read (I'm not sure if I'll venture out. It depends...)

Debbi said...

Happy St. Patty's Day! :)

1. death
2. snakes
3. Boston
4. protection
5. green