Wednesday 7 March 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 7th March, 2018.

7th March, 2018.


No, it’s true, I’ve got an earworm: and they always seem to turn up at the oddest times of the morning.

And … ?

It’s got to be said, it’s — possibly — one of the odder ones that my brain could throw at me.

Here … 


There’s a distinct possibility that’s going to haunt me, all day … 

~≈§≈~

Have you been watching the news?

You’d possibly have noticed the illness of a former Russian intelligence agent, Sergei Skripal, and his daughter, Yulia: APPARENTLY poisoned.

You’d think it’s from the pages of a bad spy novel.

Except, of course, it’s happened at least twice before: in the care of Alexander Litvinyenko and Georgi Markov.

You really couldn’t make it up*!

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga†, Debbi‡ and co-worker, Hayley^, putting in their answers: with Olga scoring five out of five, Debbi on four, and Hayley on two.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here’s they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 7th March, 1989, saw the UK and Iran break off diplomatic relations.   In a row over which book?
Q2) Alexander Graham Bell received the patent for the telephone: on 7th March, 1876.   Who — going by 2017 revenue — the UK’s biggest phone company?
Q3) Which Dutch American painter was born on 7th March, 1872?
Q4) Police broke up a Civil Rights march on 7th March, 1965: as the march was heading out of Selma.   Selma, protest and police action, were in which US state?
Q5) Finally … ?   Two British soldiers were killed outside the Messereene Barracks: on 7th March, 2009.   By a splinter faction of what: the IRA, UDA or ETA?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Cassius Clay was formally renamed on 6th March, 1964: by his religious leader.   What WAS that new name?
Q2) Who was that religious leader?
Q3) 6th March, 1961, saw the death of George Formby.   Which of his songs was banned by the BBC in 1936?
A3) The Window Cleaner: also known as When I’m Cleaning Windows.
Q4) Which German city was captured by US forces: on 6th March, 1945?
A4) Cologne.
Q5) Finally … The government of the UK banned the importation of domestic pets: on 6th March, 1970.   In order to stop the spread of what?
A5) Rabies.
Here’s a thought from the late Rik Mayall …
“I’m not trying to do anything spectacular except to change the fabric of our society and bring down the Government.”
Rik Mayall, 7 March 1958 – 9 June 2014.
Some of Rik’s alter ego, Kevin … 


And a tune from Procol Harum: today marks the birth of their keyboard player, Matthew Fisher … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day!




*        Neither could you make up the name Eldrig Turn.   It’s a street in Hemel Hempstead, one I had a call from, last night.   It’s something I though would make a great name for a character in a spy novel: or possibly a crime novel.   Debbi, Olga … ?

†        I think we can say someone turned up, Olga!   Gotta give Hayley credit for having a go!   (About the only programme I did write was for an old roleplaying game I used to play.   I don’t think there’s THAT much of a market for it, although I did run it past the game’s publishers!)

‡        We’ll HAVE to give him a mention, next time, Hayley!   And don’t worry: for a first timer two out of five’s not bad!   :D   I’ll see you Saturday: just don’t mention the really odd eagworms to Nuala!   (Oh, Sarah Paulson,m the woman with the brown hair in the video?   Is the spit of the other Hayley.)


^        I think I missed that one, Debbi: the actual answer I was after was the Cologne marches.   I might just have to have a look at Remagen!   Hang on, Bill was part of the Congressional Library’s IT!   NOW I’m impressed!   As for Princess Di?   I SEEM to recall she was related to royalty, a few generations back: the Tudors, AND the Stuarts!

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Satanic Verses
Q2) Vodafone (?) not sure if we’re talking globally or specifically in the UK. Anyway, that’s a possible interpretation… (I mean a company from the UK who does business elsewhere or…)
Q3) Piet Mondrian
Q4) Alabama
Q5) IRA
Great! I agree about the earworm. The weirder the more difficult they seem to get rid of. (And sometimes I get this children's songs I haven't heard for many years going and can't get rid of them for days on end. Mind you, if you meet somebody the same age, you can get them going too and at least you're not alone).
One of the movies my friends left for me to watch was the Death of Stalin, and although in comedy tone, yes... some things don't change.

Debbi said...

You would have liked Bill. Totally! :)

If you check this link, you'll find William Addams Reitwiesner mentioned! :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana,_Princess_of_Wales#Ancestry

Also, he has his own Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Addams_Reitwiesner

1. The Satanic Verses
2. Vodafone
3. Piet Mondrian
4. Alabama
5. the IRA