Wednesday 23 May 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 23rd May, 2018

23rd May, 2018.


Yes: it’s OFFICIAL … !

I’m starting to get requests for name checks!

Hello, Hayley, if you’re listening/watching/reading this.

Now … we’re going to have to get you to try putting your answers in … 

~≈§≈~

Now … 

Can I admit to mild nerves?

I’ve actually got an appointment at the dental hygienists, today.

Nerves … when I possibly shouldn’t be nervous: after all, it IS just a clean up.

I’ll … 

Well, I’ll survive!

~≈§≈~

I also note Amazon is working with two US police forces: to provide them with facial recognition software.

I know there’s privacy concerns.

But personally?   I can’t help but think it’s a good thing.

So long as false positives can be kept to a minimum.

~≈§≈~

And finally … ?   I’ve got Radio Four’s Today programme on in the background.

Where the team are quite happily are talking about various types of malicious activity on the ’Net.

Except … ?   I notice the team’s using the phrase ‘cyberspace’ to describe the computer-based environment we spend so much time in.

Science fiction fan that I am, I can only be mildly pleased.

I can only hope author, William Gibson, is, too.

He’s the chap that first coined the word … 

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 23rd May, 2017, saw the death pf actor, Roger Moore.   He played James Bond in how many Eon movies?
Q2) Which European country’s Parliament met for its first session: on 23rd May, 1907?
Q3) 23rd May, 1984, saw an explosion near the village of Abbeystead, in Lancashire.   An explosion in what: gasworks, water-treatment plant or colliery?
Q4) Mount Cleveland erupted on 23rd May, 2006.   The volcano is in which US state?
Q5) Franz Mesmer was born: on 23rd May, 1734.   His creation, mesmerism, is a forerunner to what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 22nd May is World Goth Day.   In which year was it first marked: 2009, 2011 or 2013?
A1) 2009.
Q2) It launched after which radio station did an article about different musical sub cultures?
Q3) This year’s World Goth Day sees events held in which Russian city?
A3) Moscow.   (Although, admittedly, it’s being held on the 25th May.)
Q4) Which punk era female singer is seen is a Goth icon: and very influential on the Goth ‘look’?
Q5) Finally … ?   Gothic novels would be an influence on the Goth subculture.   The first novel among many in the genre was The Castle of Otranto: written by Horace whom?
A5) Horace Walpole.
Here’s a thought …
“Humanity has emerged from its former degrees of limitation and preliminary training. Man must now become imbued with new virtues and powers, new moralities, new capacities.”
`Abdu'l-Bahá, 23 May 1844 – 28 November 1921.
And, as it’s Robert Moog’s birthday?   A tune played on a Moog …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        Yep, it’s certainly a handy colour, Olga‡: if you’re built like me, it’s fairly forgiving!   At ANY rate … ?   I THINK I’m slowing down on Tumblr usage: which is a shame, but there we go … !   (Actually, I can remember reading Gibson and Stirling’s The Difference Engine, back in the day.   that’s generally seen as what started the whole steampunk thing off.   Personally?   I think Space: 1889 has something to do with it … )

†        I’m with you there, Debbi‡: it’s very forgiving, especially if you’re built like me!   Oh, I’ve got a Prisoner column in my Twitter client.   Seems there’s a comic


‡        Can we all wave at Hayley?   She’ll be slightly freaked!

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 7
Q2) Finland
Q3) Water-treatment plant
Q4) Alaska
Q5) Hypnosis
I'm sure you're right. I remember the Prisoner from many years back but I wonder how I'd feel about it now...

Debbi said...

Why am I not surprised about the comic? :)

1. 7 (I still think of Moore as "The Saint". Yep, I'm old. :))
2. Finland
3. a water-treatment plant
4. Alaska
5. hypnosis