Sunday 6 May 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 6th May, 2018.

6th May, 2018.


Yep: my hair’s a mess.   But there you go: that’s Sunday morning bed head for you!

But I think I’ll recover!

At any rate … ?   I’ve a day off, today.   Which frankly means I’ll be laundering, shopping … and writing more Teasers.

Thin I’ve a little catching up to do: or, at least, video making to do … 


~≈§≈~

Something I should mention … ?

I’ve actually not got Radio 4 on.

Which will possibly surprise people.

What’s I’ve got going on?   Is an old episode of Radio 4’s The Reunion: originally recorded back in 2013.

All about the early days of Dr Who.

It’s worth a listen, I think: especially for a fan.

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?   Me banging on about hair, can’t be healthy!

Ahem!

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 6th May, 1536, saw Henry 8th order English language bibles placed in English Churches.   The version concerned, the Great Bible, was released in which year: 1537, 1538 or 1539?
Q2) A bomb went off on 6th May, 2001: one linked to the Real IRA.   Where did it go off: a post office, a restaurant or a phone shop?
Q3) The Moors Murderers, Ian Bradley and Myra Hindley, were given life sentences: on 6th May, 1966.   Name any one of the three victims who murder the pair were tried for.
Q4) Michelle Knight, Amanda Berry, and Georgina ‘Gina’ DeJesus were found alive on 6th May, 2013: after being kidnapped by Ariel Castro.   In which city were they found?
Q5) Finally … 6th May, 1895, saw the birth of Rudolf Valentino.   In which silent film does he play Julio Desnoyers?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 5th May is Lusophone Culture Day: celebrated by people who speak which language?
A1) Portugese.
Q2) 5th May, 1494 saw Columbus land on which island?
A2) Jamaica.
Q3) Kublai Khan was named as Mongol Emperor on 5th May, 1260.   As such, his title would have been what: King of Kings, Great Khan or Shogun
A3) Great Khan: or Khagan.
Q4) The first all British satellite, the Ariel 3, launched on 5th May: of which year?
A4) 1967.
Q5) Finally … the first railway in Europe open on 5th May, 1835.   In which European country?
A5) Belgium.
Here’s a thought …
“To generalize on women is dangerous. To specialize on them is infinitely worse.”
Rudolf Valentino, May 6, 1895 – August 23, 1926.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Well, I don’t know about kind, Olga: I just felt it was the right thing to do … At ANY rate … ? I’m intent on enjoy the day: and maybe having a snooze.   Gosh, the excitement!   Hope the unpacking’s going well!

†        Well … It was the right thing to do, I think.   Comes from 14 odd years of bar work: you make sure the punter gets home OK.   You know, I can never see the phrase, ‘Cinco de Mayo’ without thinking of Hellman’s Mayonnaise …

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1539
Q2) A post office
Q3) Edward Evans
Q4) Cleveland, Ohio
Q5) Finally … 6th May, 1895, saw the birth of Rudolf Valentino. In which silent film does he play Julio Desnoyers? The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I was lucky enough to catch the film with a life orchestra playing life at the London Film Festival quite a number of years back. It was amazing. Although I’d read and watch documentaries talking about Valentino (I was a big fan of the documentary Hollywood about the early years of the industry https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080230/) but never got a sense of the supposed chemistry he had until I watch that film on the big screen. Although watching silent movies is a very different experience, I do love some of them and I was teaching assistant on a course, and students who’d never watched any came out of it with a new-found appreciation for the genre.
Sorry for going on and I hope you enjoy the day off. It sounds as if you need to catch up with plenty of things!

Debbi said...

I love the word "punter". Interesting bit of slang you don't hear in the U.S.

Did you know that Hellman's mayo is sold under the Best Foods brand on the West Coast? I found that out when I moved from NYC to Fresno, CA. That was a lifetime ago, so I wonder if anything's changed.

1. 1539
2. a post office
3. Lesley Ann Downey
4. Cleveland, Ohio
5. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse