Sunday 9 July 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 9-7-2017

You know, a horrible thought’s occurred.

Famously?

A few weeks ago, Grenfell Tower went up in flames.

With lives being lost in the immediate fire, the burials  will probably starting soon.

Once the infighting stops?   The enquiry will start.

~≈Ÿ≈~

In all that?

I’m thinking of the money.

There’s at least three tower block in Brentwood: Masefield Court, Gibraltar House, and Drake House.

And I’m wondering how much it would cost Brentwood Council to make sure the three buildings have adequate fire protection.

Just as people are commenting on the costs of Grenfall Tower’s protection.

I’m blowed if I know: but think at least checks should be made.

Even if those checks tell the residents of the three blocks that the buildings aren’t safe, and that changes need to be made?

I have a nasty suspicious those checks and changes … ?

Will be cheaper than any compensation demanded in the event of a fire.

Yes, I know perfectly well that sounds cynical: and possibly offensive.

But let’s be frank, here.

Sometimes the money’s the one thing that will get people in power moving.

~≈Ÿ≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: scoring five out of five in the process.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 9th July, 1937, saw a fire destroy the vaults of which film company: Universal, Fox or Warner Brothers?
Q2) The Russell-Einstein Manifesto was released: on 9th July, 1955.   The Manifesto was Russell and Einstein’s outline of the dangers of what?
Q3) The Allies began invading where on 9th July, 1943: Sicily, Corsica or Taipai?
Q4) The government of where, legalized homosexuality: on 9th July, 1986?
Q5) Finally … The 14th Amendment to the US Constitution was passed: on 9th July, 1868.   It granted full citizenship to whom: African Americans, Native Americans or Chinese Americans?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Ghassan Kanafani was assassinated, on 8th July, 1972: by the Israeli intelligence agency.   That intelligence agency is better known how?
A1) Mossad.
Q2) A speech endorsing Native American self determination was made: on 8th July, 1970.   By which US president?
Q3) The final mission launched on the Space Shuttle Atlantis.   On 8th July of which year?
A3) 2011.
Q4) Dr John Pemberton was born on 8th July, 1831.   Dr Pemberton was noted as the creator of which drink: Pepsi Cola, Coca Cola or Dr Pepper?
A4) Coca Cola.
Q5) Finally … 8th July, 1976, saw the birth of yachtswoman, Ellen MacArthur.   In which did she set the record for the fastest round-the-world solo trip?
A5) 2005.
Here’s a song … 


And a thought …
“Anything simple always interests me.”
David Hockney, born 9th July, 1937.
Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day!



*        Oh, I was working, Debbi: a ten hour shift.   Still, it’s all hours!   And sitting down, unlike working in a certain well known fried-chicken restaurant.   Talking of chicken?   I can never resist this … 

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Fox
Q2) Nuclear warfare
Q3) Sicily
Q4) New Zealand
Q5) African Americans
Hi, Paul. I hope you are well. Sorry I haven't visited much. My Mum is going back to Spain in a couple of weeks and in the meantime I'm trying to teach her a bit how to use a computer (I'll give her my old notebook), we're going out when we can and also trying to do a few things in the house that required at least two people (I am not sure how successful we'll be with some of those. I'm terrible at DIY and my mother is not as good as she used to be).
I hope you're feeling better from the cold.
And I agree about the money issue. I'm pretty sure I have read that the Romans stopped expanding because they could no longer keep paying, feeding, clothing, etc... a huge army. Of course, there were other things but money, at least at the moment, talks. I've just read a book by Melanie Klein (No Is Not Enough) that talks about how disasters are exploited to introduce measures that otherwise would have not passed, so that's another danger. I'll try and visit when I can.
All the best.

Debbi said...

I spent a great birthday on the porch reading the script for "Forrest Gump". Damn thing made me laugh and cry, just reading it! :)

1. Fox
2. nuclear weapons
3. Sicily
4. New Zealand
5. African-Americans