Tuesday 10 October 2017

Lights Out: Hmm … With a twist …

10th October, 2017.

Damn …

Did I mention I had an interview, a couple of days ago … ?

I had an interview, a couple of days ago: at a local taxi firm.

I’ve just got the email, back, today.

I’ve not got the job.

Apparently?

They’ve found someone with more experience.

Hmmm … 

OK … 

I’m not happy: especially considering that the dratted thing was extremely local.

Oh, well … 

Onwards and upwards.

~≈Ÿ≈~

Onwards, and upwards, indeed.

Possibly.

Today … ?

Today, as you may have guessed, I’ve got the day off.

I’m writing here, for a start.

And a night off is something I usually spend in front of the TV.

I did tonight: thinking that I’d catch a movie, instead of more episodes of House of Cards.

Whether I’ve made a mistake, or not?

Is a whole other matter: given we’re talking about … Lights Out … !

~≈Ÿ≈~

The film opens in a textiles warehouse: where the owner, Paul, is talking to his son, Martin, over the phone … and the last worker to clock off, Esther, has spotted something when she turns off the lights.

Meanwhile, Paul’s stepdaughter, Rebecca?

Is spending time with her boyfriend, Brad … 

Only to be called by her brother’s school nurse.   Martin is suffering with a lack of sleep: after his mother’s mental health issues re-surface.

It seems Sophie … has an a not-so-imaginary friend.

~≈Ÿ≈~

Now … 

Good or bad?

Did I make the right decision, watching Lights Out, or should I have stuck with House of Cards.

Tough one.

I think I should have gone for House of Cards.

Which isn’t to say Lights Out is bad.

It’s nicely made, well shot, has some obvious, but effective, jump scares: and a twist ending that certainly surprised me, as it’s something I’ve not seen since watching Sonatine, many years ago.

It’s also a film that made a decision to have a quick — and not necessarily thorough — look at the mental health of one of its central character: which made it a relevant watch for World Mental Health Day.

So … ?

Yes, Lights Out is good.

I just think I should have watched more of Frank Underwood.

There we go, eh … ?
Lights Out
★★☆☆

No comments: