Saturday 25 November 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 25th November 2017

Hmmm … 

That’s new trousers ordered, than … 

I have to admit, I’m mildly thankful: that online shopping exists.

It meant that, yesterday?   I was able to order some new trousers via Amazon.

All good: they should turn up by the middle of the week.

I have a confession to make, though.

They weren’t on any kind of Black Friday offer.

I’m thankful, as strange as it seems.

As you may or may not know, Black Friday is the day after the US Thanksgiving holiday: a US public holiday.

And, from what I’ve seen?   It’s a day many Americans book off from work: to turn the Thanksgiving into a long weekend.

And go Christmas shopping.

The problem I with Black Friday?

Isn’t on grounds of rampant consumerism promoted by various businesses.

It’s the fact that companies in the UK are started marking Black Friday: as many did, yesterday.

Marking a shopping day after someone else’s public holiday.

It’s cultural imperialism of the worst possible sort.

The sort British companies quite happily volunteer for.

~≈†≈~

Right, rant over … 

Let’s move on … !

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 25th November, 1487, Saw Elizabeth of York crowned as Queen Consort of England.   Whose queen WAS she? (In other words, which king was she married to.)
Q2) One country’s government fell on 25th November, 1998, after a no-confidence vote.   Which country’s government?
Q3) The HMS Barham was sank by a German submarine: on 25th November, 1941.   In which sea: the Mediterranean, the Sargasso or Bering?
Q4) 23rd November, 1881, saw the birth of Cardinal Angelo Roncalli.   Roncalli was better known as which pope?
Q5) Finally … 25th November, 2009, saw freak rainstorms hit where: Mecca, Jeddah or Nizwa?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 24th November, 1991, saw the death of Queen frontman, Freddie Mercury.   Which Mercury penned, Queen song, did Kenny Everett say ‘would be number one for centuries’?
Q2) 24th November, 1990 saw the death of writer, Dodie Smith.   Which of her novels was turned into a 1961 Disney movie?
A2) The Hundred and One Dalmatians.   (I’m going to get strict About this: the film’s called One Hundred and One Dalmatians: the book, which is what I’m asking about, isn’t.)
Q3) 24th November, 1947, saw the birth of actor, Dwight Schultz.   Which member of The A-Team is he?
Q4) Egyptian commandoes stormed a hijacked Egyptian plane: on 24th November, 1985.   The plane was on which island?
A4) Malta.
Q5) Finally … The Texas Provision Government authorized a mounted Texan police force.   That force is known as the Texas … whom?
A5) Texas Rangers.   (They were formed in 1923: as a kind of militia, if I’ve got it right.   The original resolution was put forward on 17th October: with the law creating them, going through on 24th November.)
Here’s a thought …
“It is to TV that I owe my freedom from bondage of the Latin lover roles. Television came along and gave me parts to chew on. It gave me wings as an actor.”
Ricardo Montalban, November 25, 1920 – January 14, 2009.
And a tune … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day!





*        I’d imagine you’ve built up a few trunkfuls by now, Olga!   I can’t imagine how much that’s going to cost you!   (Personally, I’m not fond of Black Friday: it’s marking a US public holiday … !)

†        It’ll be interesting to see how Chris Chibnell and the gang, do, Debbi.    Although I think we’ve a wait: the new series is due around autumn, 2018.   I think they’ll be taking their time to film … after re-building the the TARDIS.   Oh, by the way … 

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) ) Henry VII
Q2) Turkey
Q3) The Mediterranean
Q4) Pope John XXIII
Q5) Jeddah
I haven't started packing yet. I'm still in the process of getting rid of things (I have disposed of quite a few books, DVDs and CDs, but have to decide what to do with the bigger stuff). I agree about the holiday. And it's not only holidays. Now it's proms for students (even in nursery, it seems). Oh well...

Debbi said...

Black Friday isn't a custom I'd wish on anyone! I stay home and try to relax! :)

Why the UK would want to follow our example ... I have no clue. I think it comes down to those little green pieces of paper that Douglas Adams wrote about!

1. Henry VII
2. Turkey
3. the Mediterranean
4. Pope John XXII
5. Mecca

That reminds me. Do you guys get "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" on BBC? I love that show. So ... odd! :)