Thursday 28 December 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 28th December, 2017.

Bleaugh … 

It’s a Thursday … and a Thursday when I’m up early.

Yeah, you got it.

I’m at work, again.

And at work comparatively early.

I can’t complain too much: it is money, after all.

But, boy, I don’t think five o’clock starts are doing me any favours!

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 28th December, 1993, saw HM Customs and Excise seize £70, 000, 000 (seventy million pounds) worth of cocaine.   Who did authorities suspect was involved the haul: the Mafia, Yakuza or Tongs?
Q2) The British government announced they would allow undercover security forces on UK flights.   These agents are known as sky … what?
Q3) 28th December is the Feast of the Holy Innocents: marking the Massacre of the Innocents, by King Herod the Great.   Which English language Carol marks the massacre?
Q4) 28th December is the feast day of Simon the Athonite: ALSO known as Simon the what?
Q5) Finally … 28th December, 1954, saw the birth of Denzel Washington.   What 2002 film marked his directorial debut?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 27th December is the third of the twelve days of Christmas.   What, according to the old song, did my true love get for me?
A1) Three French hens, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.   At this point in the song, I have three french hens, 4 turtle doves, a pair of partridges and two pear trees.   By the END of it?   My true love and I will be divorcing: after the RSPCA began investigations …
Q2) The 27th is also the feast day of Saint John the Apostle.   Saint John is the patron saint of whom: Native Americans, book sellers or carpenters?
Q3) Star Wars was released in the UK on 27th December, 1977: forty years ago, today.   What’s the name of the this years’s entry in the franchise?
A3) Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
Q4) More to the point, what’s the name of the 2018 entry in the series?
Q5) Finally … Britain’s first oil rig, the Sea Gem, collapsed: on 27th December, 1965.   Where was it: the Irish Sea, the North Sea or the English Channel?
A5) The North Sea.
Here’s an observation …
“If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I’ve won.”
Linus Torvalds, born 28th December, 1969‡.
And here’s Nigel … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day … 




*        It’s amazing how fast the time goes, Olga.   It’s … well … I don’t know about you, but it’s something I find mildly depressing.   (Oh, enjoy Last Jedi.   I don’t know that it’s as good as The Force Awakens: but it is very watchable, and quite funny!   My write up’s here, if you were interested.)

†        Nice to know you enjoyed it, Debbi!   I HAVE to admit, I was very impressed with David Bradley’s take on the First Doctor.   There was one bit — where the Twelfth eyeballs the Testimony’s  user interface and describes it as computer generated … only to get contradicted by the First, pointing out that he’s not looking at it — that stuck in my mind.   (Nice to see Rusty back, too.   If you’re interested, here’s the write up …)

‡        Bill Gates now uses an Android phone: with some MS products on it.   I don’t know if that entirely counts, though, but …

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Mafia
Q2) Marshals
Q3) The Coventry Carol
Q4) St Simon the Myrrh-gusher
Q5) Antwone Fisher
Thanks, Paul. I enjoyed it and it was good to see Mark Hamill. It is a sadder story but hopeful too and new interesting characters (and loved Laura Dern. I must try her hair-colour!)

Debbi said...

I'll take a look! Thanks!

1. Mafia
2. Marshalls
3. Coventry
4. Myrrh-gusher
5. Antwone Fisher