Saturday 9 December 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 9th December, 2017

Bloody hell … !

I’ve just done a batch of Christmas cards: for the folks at work.

And realised this … 

a) I’ve still not finished them … 
b) I’ve almost got through a box, already!

Ye gods … !

I also know something else, as well.

I’ve got to get another box: and very much suspect the 18 first class stamps I’ve picked up already won’t be enough!

~≈Ê≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* putting in her answers: scoring ten out of ten in the process.   The day also saw Trevor† letting us know about the train situation.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 9th December is Anna’s Day in Sweden and Finland.   It marks the traditional day many will start marking which Christmas Eve food?
Q2) The Heisman Trophy was first awarded: on 9th December, 1935.   It’s usually awarded to an outstanding amateur what: American footballer, baseball player or basketball player?
Q3) The General Post Office issued a warning: on 9th December, 1957.   The warning advised people to start sending what?
Q4) The Mother of all Demos took place: on 9th December, 1968.   The demo demonstrated the computer mouse, an early form of hypertext, and a GUI.   A GUI is a graphical user … what?
Q5) Finally … Newcastle East End and Newcastle West football clubs merged: on 9th December, 1892.   Which premiership side was the result?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 8th December,  2008, saw the death of noted children’s show maker, Oliver Postgate.   What was the name of the company he set up to make those shows?
Q2) He co-founded the firm … with whom?
Q3) Oliver was the cousin of a noted Anglo-American actress: who starred in Murder, She Wrote.   Who is she?
Q4) Postgate’s production company was near his business partner’s home near Canterbury.   In a disused what: tithe barn, oast-house or cowshed?
A4) Cowshed.
Q5) Postgate’s shows were what:  stop-motion animations, computer generated images or cel animation?
Q6) The original version of one Postgate series was deemed too scary.   It was re-written and had its title changed to Pogles’ Wood.   What was the original title?
Q7) Thor Nogson, King Knut and Olaf the Lofty all appear in which of the company’s shows?
Q8) The Merioneth and Llantisilly Railway Traction Company Limited is in the top left hand corner of Wales.   And in which series?
Q9) Bagpuss features a character called Professor Yaffle.   Supposedly, Yaffle is based on which which philosopher?
A9) Bertrand Russell.   (I have my doubts.   I think the blessed thing’s more like the William Hartnell’s First Doctor.)
Q10) Finally … Postgate’s son, Daniel, and the company, revived which of Postgate’s shows in 2014?
Here’s a thought …
“My family were of good English peasant class from St. John’s Wood. My father dealt in stocks and shares and my mother also had a lot of time on her hands.”
Hermione Gingold, 9 December 1897 – 24 May 1987.
And a tune … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        You’re right, Olga‡: I think I’m going to need something stronger: especially going from Chelmsford to the station … !   (Actually, now you mention ducks … )


†        Yeah, I know, Trevor: I think it goes seriously bonkers around Christmas!

‡        I know you possibly didn’t see them, originally, Olga: but the Soup Dragon, in The Clangers?   Scared the Willies out of me!

1 comment:

Olga said...

Q1) Lutefisk
Q2) American footballer
Q3) Their Christmas Cards
Q4) Interface
Q5) Newcastle United
Wow! I see what you mean. I have the feeling they must have shown some of the Clangers episodes although I can't remember any in detail. It's also the case that having lived here for a long while and talking to lots of people, many reminisce about their favourite childhood programmes, so sometimes I'm not sure what I've just been told about or seen on later TV programmes and what I remember. (I'm a fan of antiques' programmes, and you always have somebody bringing memorabilia or related to the creators of children programmes). Yes, do take care. I'm not sure trains will be very reliable on this weather.