Tuesday 22 January 2013

Berberian Sound Studio: Blimey, there goes my ratings … !

Just as an additional extra thought for the start of this post … ?   I thought I should mention that Toby Jones, the main star of Berberian Sound Studio has bagged the Best Actor gong in this years Evening Standard Awards.   Please bear that in  mind … 
Blimey … 

Or perhaps, in line with something the Toby Jones character in the film I’ve seen tonight, has said, “Strike a light” …  !

Mmmmm … 

Yes, I’ve just spent a little more cash on an iTunes rental: in this case, the Peter Strickland directed, Berberian Sound Studio.

And I’m thinking I want you to tell me it’s as odd as I think it is …

~≈®≈~

Set in the sound studios of the film’s title, Berberian Sound Studio sees Toby Jones as Gilderoy, a mildly timid sound engineerº, hired to work on the (fictional) film, Equestrian Vortex.

A film which Gilderoy thinks is the sort of documentary he’s used to making, back in the UK: but turns out to be a horror film.   And an Italian giallo* film, at that.

One that involves hacking up a lot of otherwise inoffensive vegetables …

~≈®≈~

Now, I have to admit, I’ve recently managed to catch a few films, recently, that I’ve immediately tagged as having four stars: Kill List being the most recent.

In other words, it’s one of a handful of films I personally feel that should be seen by as many people as possible.

And I have to confess, I think Berberian Sound Studio — funded by FilmFour, Screen Yorkshire and Warp X — is in the same sort of league,

It might not have the same horse power as Kill List, or any of the other films I mentioned when I wrote about the latter.

But I certainly think Berberian Sound Studio is worth you catching, at least once: normally, that would make me put it on a three.

What’s got me giving it that extra star … ?

Is tha fact I’ve already told a couple of friends they should check it out.

I can’t tell you any less, now can I … ?
Berberian Sound Studio  
★★★★


*        Not a genre of movie I’m as familiar with as I could be: helpfully, though, the Wikipedia entry is both digestible, and revealing: and makes me think you have to love a genre that produces a title like Don’t Torture A Duckling

º        As distinct from a Foley artist, who’s responsible for the sounds on a film: swishing curtains, footsteps, dismembered melons, what have you.   The sound engineer is (usually) the chap who’s recording the noises.

No comments: